Seems that without Hi-Cap is better sound in my System

Hello Nick !

I’ll give Hydra a try. Thanks for the great advice !!

1 Like

Thank you Mrhappy,

Very interesting ! Thank you for your information.

I’m wondering if the sources in my country (Korea) sell Naim-specific power cables separately.
Additionally, I’m not sure How if the 220V power cables provided with Naim products in the EU and Southe Korea are any different from regular power cables.

I don’t have any information about the 220V cables shipped to Asia since I’ve never purchased a new product.

Also I’m wondered about this topic @Richard.Dane ! Thanks !

Very much appreciated for helping me!

Hello sihctr!

Yes, I’m already using the Matrix 2 power strip and am looking for a Naim power cable for my equipment. However, I’ll need to check if my Korean distributor sells this cable separately.

Thanks.

There’s no mains to the NAC82 so no need. Just check the mains plug polarity for the NAPSC, the HICAP, XPS, and NAP180. Make sure they are all the same.

2 Likes

I don’t know. Best to ask your distributor, or else email Naim support.

1 Like

Are we sure that the OP has his snaics set up right ?

As per Jame’s post above…

“You may want to check the back of the Hicap to make sure, depending on vintage, that socket 3 (which you would normally connect via a SNAIC4 to the 180) doesn’t have a 24v rail on it. If it does, use socket 2 instead.”

The essential thing here is the socket 3 of the HiCap, used to connect to the 180 power amp. If it has a 24v rail (look at the connection diagram next to the socket), then the OP must use socket 2 instead.

I don’t think its clear from posts that the OP has this set up correctly.

1 Like

Thank you Richard,

I’ll ask them,
And About to my Napsc.
My Napsc is vintage model, So there are no AC inlet . Just all-in-one model.
So I just checked the voltage of the connector as picture attached .
Is the polarity correct when the port 1 is higher voltage than port 2 ?

Hi Wugged_woy,

Yes I incorrectly drawn the flowchart.

I Setup correctly as port 4 from NAC82
and Port 3 to NAP180 using snaics .

But, I’ve question about checing the 24v rail . How Can I check it ?
I’ve attached the picture for reference.

You want to check at the mains plug just to see which is the hot/live connection.

Not sure on the NAPSC plug - perhaps @NeilS can help here.

1 Like

Socket 3 is ok for you. If it had had a 24v rail, the hole at 4 o’clock would have been labelled +ve rather than NC :smile:

1 Like

I’d suggest getting genuine Naim Snaics for your connections.

2 Likes

The Black, right hand cable looks to be a Naim SNAIC.

The Red, left hand cable is not from Naim. Chord maybe…?

2 Likes

The red cable is labelled microphone cable.
I’ve tried mogami microphone cable between a Naim pre and power amp, I very quickly removed it. Plenty of detail, but a bit bright and lightweight.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought like you.

That is Van Damme Star Quad Cable 268026C
I’m looking for the Naim Snaic 4pin for changing.

Hello Ian,

Yeah, 5Pin SNAIC is from the naim but NAP180 was Van Damme Star Quad Cable 268026C

IMO, comments about how this combo sounds are not valid, while this cable remains in use.

Please - replace this with the standard Naim SNAIC-4.
They are not particularly expensive, if you look around on eBay.

1 Like

Aren’t Quad DINs wired differently to Naim…? :thinking:

2 Likes

Probably, but the OP means a type of cable, I think - not a ‘wired for Quad’ cable.

1 Like

Thats the way I read it as well, Van Damme list the cable as ‘Star Quad’

The starquad word is a bit of marking bling, its sexier than 4 core.
That said it has (on paper) better spec than the basic unscreened copper 4 core with PVC thats in the Naim SNAIC
Its listed as a tour grade microphone cable with bare silver plated ultra pure OFC, XLPE cross linked polyethylene insulation & tinned oxygen-free copper wire braided screen.

If it really does turn out to sound poor compared to the Naim SNAIC, I suspect it might have a wiring defect

2 Likes

Star-quad has very specific uses for balanced transmission; I suspect it’s, err… sub-optimal in this context…

1 Like