Sell my 500 system and go to Bang and Olufsen, am I mad

I’ve heard the Meridian and the BL90 far surpass the Meridian’s top model. The comparable Beolab would be Beolab 5, now discontinued though the Beolab 5 had acoustic lenses and bass linearisation which the Meridian didn’t. The Beolab 90s go further. Have a watch of the video above.

2 Likes

Apologies, i don’t know the answer to this question. Perhaps the white paper PDF I’ve attached above answers that. If you’re seriously interested then Geoff Martin at B&O could answer that. He’s contactable through B&O Struer. Great guy, super approachable and knows as much as anyone about acoustics and speaker engineering in the world.

I’ve removed the links - as per forum rules re. unauthorised commercial links, please don’t post links to B&O in here, thanks.

Well I didn’t think I’d see these on the Naim forum. Amazing acoustic engineering and they look good in your room. Enjoy :+1:

Ok. So on this forum unlike other forums the rule is you can’t post external links. The YouTube link has also been censored as well. Happy to comply and not break the rules.

If you’re interested there’s a shed load of YouTube videos on these speakers and if you type in Beolab 90 Technical Sound Guide into a search engine, you can dig for more details, including technical setup, specs, performance characteristics, etc…

Just for reference, the rules are here. FORUM RULES - Please Read & Follow

Hello Ross, no, you are not mad in my opinion. In the end it is your money and you have to do what feels best and what fits best in your living room.

Since this is a Naim forum, not everybody can/ will accept this, but go ahead!

1 Like

WOW stunning :grinning: thanks for posting read your post enthralling thank you. My ownership of Bang and olufsen not in the same league unfortunately I’ve been a proud owner of bang and olufsen beovision TVs for over 30 years i will not consider any other make currently own beovision 11 :grinning:
They are without doubt superb in every way very stylish, picture quality, sound delivery and more over reliability length of service. They are a thing of beauty yes very very expensive but worth every penny. Unfortunately some people do not take Bang and olufsen seriously. keep posting :smiley:

1 Like

Very impressive, quite imposing aren’t they. I have auditioned the 50’s, but not the 90s. They had a comprehensive write up in HiFi Critic a few years ago. B&O seems to be very committed to DSP and they don’t do it by halves. I hope that your home is structurally up to them. :slight_smile:

When I asked if my local B&O dealer had a set of Beolab 50s for a home demo, he told me we normally have to order them in because when we send our demo speakers out, the recipient usually buys them and we don’t get them back, but then I guess he would say that wouldn’t he!

1 Like

If you are happier now, that is all that matters.

1 Like

Video reviews of hifi always strike me as odd, as the sound is then dependant on the quality of the mic, the recording …and the replaying speakers! And all too many utube videos are annoyingly drawn out, compared to written text which can be read in as much detail or speed as one wants…. However, that’s not the reason for removal, but simply because they were links to a commercial supplier of hifi equipment, which breaks Naim forum rules. (There is a ‘stickie’ thread detailing the rules.)

Yeah the model X is pretty clean.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Very interesting. Ref the weight I was actually thinking more about moving them for cleaning/decorating when required but your point about design and DSP dealing with the issues of placement is an interesting one thanks.

Regards
Alex

You can move them but it’s a three-stout-lad/three-burly-lass job.

Moving to clean is unnecessary as they should probably be well out from all walls due to the multi-direction drivers so easy to clean around them. Ditto decorating unless changing carpet/floorcovering.

And if you have a partner whe insists on regular changes of room layout, you can agree readily but plead a bad back so ery apologetically can’t help: “oh dear, we’ll just have to leave how it is”.

Seeing them in the raw without their upper cover they look like some giant fat spider rearing up on its hind quarters, fixing its prey with its many eyes, preparing to strike. I do however realise that is not how they are intended to be presented in a domestic setting.

I have to say, seeing them in your sitting room, fully covered, they meld well into the domestic setting, assuming you have a big enough space to accommodate them. I hope you get great enjoyment from them.

1 Like

I think they are certainly big speakers for sure but IMHO they hide their heft with their ‘hips’ and flowing anatomy thanks to the concave polygons.

9 Likes

I heard Pink Floyd on Naim 500 system wired to some big B&W Nautilus in London when the NDS first came out. Sounded phenomenal.

Yes you are mad, have you not seen what happens to this in the transformers film ?:slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I think they blend in rather well in your living area.

They look much less intrusive than, say, the monolithic Neat MF9s which I have, and which only survive because I have a separate music room.

They look great. :+1: