Sell my 500 system and go to Bang and Olufsen, am I mad

I think Oscar Wilde’s well known quote sums it up well. Something about “imitation being the sincerest form of flattery…”

2 Likes

Ok fair enough. That makes sense. :+1:t2:

My understanding is the amount of detail (rhythmic clues) and space and air…and stereo depth… What really matters is enjoyment… .are you engaged…do you want to listen etc. Its all an illusion mainly created by the sound engineer…

2 Likes

I suppose I use the term transparency in this instance.

1 Like

For balance can I state that for my ears the Auralic Aries G2 is an exceptional product. I haven’t heard the ND5XS2 but have heard a ND555 /2 x 555PS and its primarily nuance for me in the difference between it and my Auralic / Chord Hugo TT / mscaler combination. I can’t obviously argue with what you hear but I would caution a general acceptance based on your opinion that the ND5XS2 is a better streamer than the Auralic Aries G2.

.sjb

3 Likes

Yes, I believe the OP has left the building …

3 Likes

Agreed.

Roger

1 Like

Wow!

That’s very surprising to me.

Are you saying that you compared ND555/2 x 555DR vs. Auralic streamer/MScaler/Chord Hugo TT in the same system and the difference it made to SQ was merely a nuance?

What was the rest of the system?

Another question:

Have you compared an Auralic streamer to a Naim streamer in your own (or any other) system?

@JimDog I compared an ND5 XS2 to an Altair G1 and preferred the Altair. In the end I bought the G2.1. Didn’t audition an NDX2, so can’t comment on that.

NO wind up. I am very grateful for the many serious and considered comments… Have the Beolab 28 at home for a solid 10 days to try out. My route here was 32.5, Hicap 250 then 52/300, now 500. I still have a second system, 272/300 in another room so will swap to ensure that it is the room and not for some reason the 500 somehow with a fault.

6 Likes

It does.

1 Like

Hi Oxbow

That’s good result because the Altair RRP is £400 less than the ND5XS2, and as you preferred it, you got better SQ for less cost.

I notice that your system has no Naim components.

Also that you play straight into active speakers.

My usage of the ND5XS2 (and the Aries) is very different to yours.

I used both of these devices as digital out into my Naim DAC/555DR.

The rest of my system is all Naim: NAC252/SC - 2 x NAP135s - SL2s.

I think a Naim streamer is much more likely to sound good fronting up an all-Naim system than an Auralic streamer.

This makes sense as the ND5XS2 was specifically designed and optimized and voiced to sound good feeding an all-Naim system.

I have to say, though, that I was shocked at how great the difference was between the ND5XS2 digital out via DC1 cable vs the Aries out via a Chord Shawline cable.

I was not expecting it and I had been interested in hearing an Auralic for years, as it has some good reports on forums and in reviews.

One Q @Oxbow: When you compared an ND5 XS2 to an Altair G1 did you use a preamp between the streamer/dacs and your active speakers?

Or was that test done elsewhere?

1 Like

Curious how we all have different tastes. When demoing the Innuos gear I managed to scratch the Chord itch that I got from the praise here on the forum, thinking that it would make sense to try it with the USB optimisation that Innuos offers so as to really do Chord justice. I was surprised by quite how much I felt the ND555 with 2 x 555PS really quite dramatically surpassed them - in an entirely different league in terms of tonal and textural detail and related expressiveness, as well as PRaT in general (to my ears, in my system and room etc.)

2 Likes

I also have tried Chord dacs on several occasions in my system.

Most recently I had a Qutest (vs Naim DAC with and without 555DR) in my system for a few weeks, and while the Qutest had a pleasant, clear, sweet-sounding effect on SQ, I distinctly preferred the Naim DAC, even without external PSU.

The Naim DAC just grabbed me and made me enjoy the music more.

3 Likes

Comically, at a dealer demo of Linn Klimax (not latest model), I preferred the bare NDX they had, which was clearly miles behind the CD555 I had at the time…

2 Likes

Yes, best to test it thoroughly before a change out. But I totally get the reasoning behind such a drastic change. If listening to music is the main event, and it sounds great on what you’re listening to, then it’s definitely worth a hard look at making a change even if it appears, at first, to be a significant downgrade.
Keeping it simple can be the most enjoyable, overall.

@JimDog I was originally planning on going down the more traditional separates route, so also heard both streamers through various amps (including SN3) and still preferred the Altair G1 as a steamer/DAC over the NDS5 XS2. I’d describe the Altair as being more detailed than the Naim, some might say clinical. In contrast the Naim was a little bit more musical as most Naim devices are. It really comes down to what you prefer from a SQ presentation perspective. I listen to a lot of vocal/classical music which suits the Altair well. The Naim is stronger with rock music where it seems to create more energy and drive. Both are excellent streamer/DACs.

One other consideration when looking at streamers is the software side of things. Buggy software will make even the best streamer a miserable experience.

PS I really want a new 272 successor, so will definitely be auditioning that when it eventually surfaces, which I’m sure it will…

I think this discussion goes to show how much component choice depends on personal preference and on rest of the system in which components are used. An Aries into nDAC is a very different matter to, say, an Aries into the matching Auralic DAC (Vega), or to an Altair which is effectively a combination of Aries and Vega in one box. It’s not unknown to find hifi fans who rate Naim as an amp manufacturer but are less convinced of their streaming sources. Not a view I share, incidentally.

In my case, it started with falling in love with the active ATCs. I had a 272/XPSDR at the time and was hoping to run them with the 272’s successors, but when these didn’t appear, I started looking elsewhere and after much auditioning settled on Auralic’s Vega G2. The fact it offers balanced XLR outputs is a bonus and perhaps a factor in how effective it is at driving active speakers via long interconnects. After over 2 years, my system still regularly gives me goose bumps and sends me dancing round the room, so absolutely no regrets. Does this mean my system would appeal to all listeners? Of course, not but it certainly suits me.

Roger

6 Likes

Hi Roger
That’s an excellent summary of how the same item can give a totally different result in a totally different system.
Jim

1 Like