Service and Recapping

Hi
I have been thinking about a flatcap/hicap upgrade but maybe I should think about servicing the current stuff first as it was all bought used over 5 years ago. I’ve seen the name Darran mentioned on here and wondered how I would contact him.
Thanks

Google “class A Naim”

.sjb

1 Like

Doh, I should have done that. Sheffield is that correct?

That’s them.

:smile:

.sjb

1 Like

cheers, just emailed them :+1:

1 Like

I’ve checked the website and emailed them, then I saw it mentioned the NAP 200 service would include factory updates, do you have any idea what that means? do they add the Discrete Regulator technology?

No idea I’m afraid, I only know them from their (good) reputation.

Just wait for their email response, remembering it’s holiday time.

.sjb

I don’t believe the 200 can be upgraded to DR specs and Naim has stopped doing the DR upgrade.

I purchased a serviced/recapped 252 in June and In the last week it has just blossomed. Highly recommend having your gear serviced by Naim or Class A.

1 Like

I have just recently used Class A Audio in Sheffield to service my HiCap.

Their service is very good and the turnaround is very quick.

Well recommended.

DG…

2 Likes

I suspect what that refers to is that during the years since original release a number of small improvements were developed by the factory and that the service includes them. DR updates they definitely are not. From what I recall they are maybe more to improve reliability, versus dramatic SQ improvements.

A benefit of a genuine service, Naim or their authorised agents, is that it includes things like that. At least if my memory is correct!

2 Likes

IMO Darran at Class A is much better than sending items to Salisbury. Much faster turnaround, you can drop off/pick up and cheaper. And the couriers he uses and how he packages is far better. No items have returned damaged from him. Cant say that for Salisbury.

1 Like

It likely means the update Naim did to the protection circuit of the NAP200 - that would only apply to units built in the first few years.

1 Like

Is that what NeilS mentions here:

Was just trying to find what I thought I remembered above.

Yup. Or by the appropriate Naim approved Service Agent in your Country or Region.

When…?

How often should I service my Naim product? This is a question often asked, and the Naim Service Department recommendations are as follows: for the Chrome Bumper (circa 1975 - 1989) and Olive (circa 1989 - 2000) range products, we recommend every 8 - 10 years and for the newer Black products (2000 - present), every 12 - 15 years.

Yes.

1 Like

From experience, I would caution against assuming approval implies competence, outside the UK. There are some superb agents with a well deserved reputation, but then there are others… Homework is recommended.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve emailed class A for a quote and some info.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.