Setting up Wifi with no remote for Atom

I have the same issue like this OP. How do you make a Wifi connection without a remote?

I can connect and use with Ethernet cable but I also want to be able to connected wirelessly but I see no option in the app to do so.

I wonder what @Walker did?

I guess there is no solution since there is no answer.

I don’t have an Atom (I have an NDX2 which sets up with the app). Are you sure you can not do this with the app?

If you factory reset the Atom, and then set it up from the beginning again, but using WiFi, you will find the app will lead you through what you have to do. Once it’s working then you can just plug an Ethernet cable in when you want to use cable and unplug it when you want to use WiFi.

But if it were me, I would also buy a remote.

3 Likes

Thanks!

I did the factory reset but still can’t do Wifi without the remote. Looks like remote is necessary to setup Wifi which is silly IMO. Sure, remote is good to have but to force people to buy another one if they lose it isn’t cool.

1 Like

It’s hardly Naim’s fault if people lose the remote. If it’s designed to need the remote then so be it.

2 Likes

Perhaps your dealer could lend you a remote just for the setup procedure. Or how about asking Naim if there is a way it can be done without using a remote?

Roger

:-1:t2:

Not many devices nowadays have the same controls integrated as they have on the remote control. TVs are a perfect example. If you lost your TV remote, would you expect to be able to set it up and select apps etc from the buttons on the side?
Remotes are the central control for most operations on most devices.
Lose it and lose control. Not the manufacturers fault.

1 Like

@Neilb1906 yes you can set up on the side of your TV. Not convenient but doable.

Second Naim has an app. Once you connect to your app/Internet via Ethernet cable, you should be able to setup Wifi. Not to mention I don’t like to use remote when there’s an app to operate the unit.

@Neilb1906 maybe you don’t know Naim has an app to use your unit. You should install it to your phone. Much better control than the remote. Try it. You will love it.

What happens if you ignore the Bluetooth connection step and try to set it up with the app only? You choose “Setup new device.” Then what? Where does the process fail? Screenshots might be helpful.

@jegreenwood if you have the bluetooth on (no ethernet connection), the unit connects to your phone and does play music but since there is no network, you can’t add the unit because the app doesn’t see it.

When you have the ethernet connected, then you can add it (manually with unit’s local IP), but since the unit connects to the internet, you don’t see any Wifi option. It just continues with Ethernet connection and everything works as it should (except Wifi).

I messaged Naim. Let’s see what they say.

I see your problem. I asked, because I had to do a factory reset of my Muso 2 recently, and that does not require the remote. And the ND5 XS2 doesn’t even have a remote.

On the other hand, my Nova appears to require it.

1 Like

The process to setup the Atom to work on WiFi is shown here and no remote is required. But don’t plug in the Ethernet cable.

1 Like

In @micho 's defense, if you follow the instructions the Naim app provides, you are asked to use the remote.

On the other hand, the procedure above is basically what I did for my Muso 2.

1 Like

Never mind. It worked just now. I did exactly the same thing I did yesterday.

Yesterday, the unit wouldn’t connect to Airplay/wireless during the setup and I have tried three times.It always gave an network error. Today, it worked. Go figure. Thanks.

And to some people who thinks if you lose the remote, it is not Naim’s fault (I never said losing a remote is their fault). I was just saying it was silly not to be able to setup without a remote. Apparently, it can be setup like it should.

I am much happier with the app anyway. Thanks to people who really wanted to help.

2 Likes