Seven Steps To Heaven -Advice please

Not often discussed MD album but one Ive come to really like recently and I would really like to source a good version on LP.
I’m appealing to those who know about these things… what is the best one to get without spending silly money?
Columbia? Sony? Mono…stereo?

@Dreadatthecontrols
@Bobthebuilder

Many thanks.

1 Like

Hi Neil, I’m flattered that you consider me to be someone who knows about these things, sorry but on this occasion I dont have a view, I only have a cheap vinyl re issue copy thats not particularly noteworthy.
Hopefully someone will chip in and point you in the right direction

:heart:

2 Likes

As the original ones may be very expensive today, specially in NM condition, I would go for the Analogue Productions one.

2 × Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM, Album, Reissue, Remastered, 180 gram
Around 70 euros from United States, plus shipping and Vat, some maybe 100 GBP. Discogs.

2 Likes

If you can track down a Columbia 2-Eye stereo pressing, that would be a good one to go for.

2 Likes

I just listened to my copy of the Analogue Productions 45RPM reissue last night. It is fantastic. They also reissued it on 33 RPM. I have that one also.

3 Likes

I will have a look over Discogs and offer some inexpensive suggestions that I would be happy to try. If your not too bothered about AAA purist mastering I think one of the Columbia Legacy issues might float your boat.

Just avoid public domains labels like DOL,DOXY, Jazzwax etc

3 Likes

Thankyou all for your advice and suggestions.

2 Likes

Great suggestion from Dread as always, I bought “In a Silent Way” from Columbia Legacy for less than £18 and sounds v good. I’m going to add this to my newbie Jazz list so thanks for rising it.

2 Likes

Agreed on the two eye. Picked this one up at a local record meet not too terribly long ago for US$3.50. Dead mint, sounds great.

5 Likes

You can really go off some people! :smile:

Looks like Seven Steps hasn’t had a Legacy vinyl issue

No couldn’t find it…CD yes…vinyl… no.

Exactly.
Plenty of inexpensive US Columbia re issues you might take a punt on if you dont fancy digging deep for an Acoustic Sounds or clean early pressing.
Sorry I couldnt help on this occasion, let me know though if you find something to your liking.

1 Like

Again, thanks Dread for your counsel.
Will do.

1 Like

Me? I honestly didn’t mean to offend. Whatever I did (and I really don’t know), I apologize most sincerely. Or am I misreading?

My guess is it won’t get a Legacy vinyl reissue before Analogue Productions has exhausted its license for doing it. And seeing that is isn’t sold out on the Acoustic Sounds website yet they may still have an active license.

2 Likes

Hi Neil

I have two copies one U.S Columbia PC-8851 FROM 1974

And the 33rpm Analogue Productions

Both are very good but the AP is the better one and sounds fantastic I looked for a copy for a long time before I found the copy from '74 and then a year or so later in 2022 they issued another pressing of the of 2017 AP pressing by Ryan Smith at Sterling though on 180g not 200g.

My advice for the best value for money would be a CBS Sunburst from the 1980’s available for less than £20.

1 Like

There was no real benefit to 200gr anyway. AP/QRP was smart to give up on it and go back to 180 gr like everyone else.

I have both AP 45 and 33 versions. The 45 sounds better, but the 33 is also fantastic. The 33 is a good value for $40 in the states, although I bet it’s rather more in the U.K.

1 Like

Yes I think I paid £40 plus postage.

This French release from 1983 CBS 62170 might be worth a punt Neil there are two VG+ with VG sleeves on Discogs for less than £20. Discogs has it dated as 1981 but the Sunburst label has 1983.

2 Likes