Shall I shan’t I get a 552

552DR is imo one of the best hifi components on the market. I have been into this hobby at the higher end for almost ten years now and I’ve not heard another product from any other brand that impressed me as much.

But it says a lot when I can say that I miss my 52 right now. Not that it’s better than the 552, it isn’t.

But it replaced my 552DR which I couldn’t afford to keep any longer and yet there was no loss in the entertainment it provided, that fun factor without which this hobby wouldn’t make any sense to me.

3 Likes

Blimy…that must have been some feast!!!

Thats what its all about!!! fun not dogma…

2 Likes

I’m sure someone once told me it takes a 552 about 6 months to come on song from new or after a service.

Well it’s been a little over 6 months since my new to me and just serviced 552 arrived and I’m sure I’ve never enjoyed music as much as I have for the last few weeks. Some speaker adjustment has certainly helped but there’s something else and I’m putting it down to the burn-in. And it didn’t sound too shabby before. Absolute magic going on in that black box.

4 Likes

Best advice I can give……if you won’t miss the money then yes yes yes every time!
I’ve got the 252 and love it…I’ve never heard a 552 but given the chance I’d have one no question.
If it’s a good deal you might regret not going for it….but like I said only if you won’t miss the money…

2 Likes

Yep, I would love to hear a 552, and at an absolute stretch I could afford one. But…every time I play music (records, CDs - I don’t stream) on the 252/300DR the itch really ‘don’t seem so bad’ to quote an Ese song…

But, if a 552 came along at a great price…hmm, interesting.

3 Likes

Haha those are my exacts thoughts on a 300DR

2 Likes

Seriously? You’re going to sell your system to help pay for the kids Private School? Dude you got the short end of that stick…:grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah its the promise I made before I started building the system. just hope they get into grammar school lol… However, with the two latest additions (552 & ND555) I have to say it sounds absolutely amazing and even the wife agrees… so there’s a small glimmer of hope :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

3 Likes

There are good deals out there… I got mine for under 10k, 2012 models both serviced in 2021 by Naim and The PS DR conversion also by Naim…
Bargain compared to the RRP

4 Likes

I would say go for it, i did look to replace mine along with the 500 a few years back, but there’s something special about the 552, even more so when its DRed.
Mine isn’t going anywhere soon thats for sure, not even for a S1.

1 Like

Ooh, temptation. @PeterR thought the same until he heard just how very much better the S1 pre is.

Just sayin’ …

I’d agree and at that price they are accessible to us mere mortals !
The longevity and serviceability brings some very high end gear like the 552 into the reach of people who cannot or do not wish to spend 25k on a preamp. Solid engineering and great design mean that this is possible. There aren’t many brands who can compare on this level. When the latest fad has given up the ghost and is irreparable after 5 years Naim quality and solid design is difficult to argue against. And to my ears remains insanely engaging and absorbing when doing what it is designed to do. …….play music.

Yes I know the CD players are now long in the tooth and maybe the first generation streamers also, but they doesn’t detract from the overall commitment to the quality of the product.

As you can guess, I am a happy Naim customer!

1 Like

Well mine is doing very well thanks plus i need 2 tape loops

There was absolutely no chance I could afford anyway near the RRP for 500 series boxes… I shopped about, waited and got a 552 pre and ND555 for under 18k. I already had the 555ps.

Have to be honest thou, I hate the metal controllers… they stay in the box and the trusty Narcom 5 is always used…

2 Likes

You did very well indeed. I paid about 12.5K for same age also serviced by Naim in 2021. Having said that I was offered a very generous p/x on a 282 and HCDR so I can’t grumble. Never regretted it. Was marvellous straight from the box and even better after 3 months or so!

1 Like

Same here. I don’t know what happened in month five or six and I don’t care. The result was worth the wait, not that I realised there was anything more to wait for.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.