Shelves or bookcase for Naim elements instead of Fraim

I have my Naim system situated on a solid oak TV stand we received as a wedding gift. Music has always sounded excellent with it. Fraim might improve things but my wife is insistent we utilize the stand. Small trade-off to keep the the peace!

Suppose they could but I like them like that to be honest plus the lead from cd to amp is only short and don’t think the sound will improve much more for the outlay off £££ to buy a new lead so they can sit side by side
The £££ can be spent on other things more important

Just so long as you know that the way you have them stacked will ensure they work as badly as they possibly can. They will sound better if separated as suggested, but that may or may not matter to you. I’ve always wanted to get the best from what I have, as it doesn’t come cheap. The CDP should have come with a standard Naim interconnect that is more than long enough to facilitate adequate separation.

1 Like

Hh each to there own I’m not that critical to be honest there is far more important things in life
It’s a none naim interconnect the amp and CD was bought secondhand many years ago if thats OK with yourself

1 Like

As life is a compromise and this applies to hi-fi as well, most of my electronics is “hidden” in a heavily modified record/ equiplment cabinet includin the 500 power amp. My wife would have a fit if all this kit was placed on (propably) two Fraims. Compomise? My dealer has never mentioned the idea of a Fraim possibly knowing my wife’s reaction.
However both the LP12 and CD555 are on dedicated wall shelves and there is a liberal use of Stillpoint supports as well.
All of this comes down to avoiding vibration to delicate components. Put your source components in a separate room to the speakers. Not very practical though.

@Arnaud, hopefully you will notice a drop in sound quality, because if you don’t, the Fraim was a waste of money.

2 Likes

@JamesF … nice set up. Which speakers are those, James?
Iver

Hi Iver,

Thanks very much. They were designed and built for me by a firm up in Huddersfield called Purity Acoustics. Sadly they are no longer around, but their craftsmanship was brilliant. They have a Seas 8’ driver which to my ears sounds superb and I think id have to spend big money to better them.

I had Allaes before and they just didn’t work for me in my room, as beautiful as they were. I still had one note bass after moving them back and forth in the room countless times,. Shame, but to me these sound better in every way.

James

1 Like

An unqualified opinion from me but think ‘worst’ is relative. It’s not like stacking will result in distortion or your hifi sounding like a bag of spanners. Certainly not the end of the world.

If you were so inclined, which I’m not sure you are, a simple test of the supposed I’ll effects of stacking, could be tested by getting your other half to lift the top component up until you hear a definite improvement. Clearly arms are not the same as a rigid support but would demonstrate the effects of transformer proximity.

Lol I can just imagine the look on the wife’s face if asked to do so, my it would be worth a picture for prosperity

Up a bit, up a bit, no, down a bit, yes, hold it there while I listen to this cd! :rofl:

3 Likes

@JamesF … beautiful !! I can see on the picture how qualitative they are build. What a “finish” ! I had Allae’s in the past as well; great loudspeaker
Iver

Exactly, and when I wake up with two black eyes I’ll post a pic off em :joy:

1 Like

@JamesF That looks great. :+1:t5:

11 Likes

Thanks guys. I’ve had Naim since I was 16 starting with a Nait 3 and Credos and I’ve never looked back (I’m 33 now).

In a few years time, the next house we buy will hopefully have a larger lounge and I will probably site everything on a rack again, but for now I couldn’t be happier with the sound.

James

Great looking system! Love the CB amps.

James

1 Like

:joy::joy:

I’m disappointed. After that I was hoping she might help scientific study by comparing coiled vs bunched speaker cables etc etc. The list is endless.

I’m sure things will sound better on a Fraim, maybe one day when budget allows. Happy with the look right now.

9 Likes

This already looks great without a Fraim - I’m sure it sounds great too

Stay safe

1 Like