Not to mention that the chickens are very clean, because they waer nappies!
I’m not so sure, my chickens Gertrude, Henrietta and Mabel are defecating machines but they do provide a constant supply of nutrious eggs
Here in New Zealand it was proposed that packaged foods have a traffic light label on them for fat, sugar and salt. It would have been excellent as anyone at a glance could compare similar products on the shelves at a glance, regardless of educational attainment.
However because it made comparison between food products so transparent it was opposed by the food industry and we now have a misleading star system which is harder to interpret, because that is what the food industry wants!
Yes, this is the scary part. That’s why I’ve been buying chickens raised by local Menonite farms. The chickens are raised the way they were 100 years ago.
IIRC, several years ago, one of the UK TV foodie programmes did a piece on the fat content of intensively reared chicken (no additives) and found that it’s no longer the lean meat it once was and is still perceived to be in some circles, obviously due to the intensive rearing and feeding processes now involved. It’s still ‘better’ than red meat (difficult not to be).
I visited a chicken farm when I was younger and opening the door to the inner compound is something which is imprinted on my memory & nostrils.
Wouldn’t you want to use leg or even thigh for some fat content? I wonder if from just breast it wouldn’t be a bit dry.
In the catering business it is possible to buy cheaper frozen raw prepared chicken breast that is only 70% chicken breast. The other 30% being water with something probably nasty added to thicken.
On the other hand this is confusingly honest.
I wouldn’t be surprised by their findings because intensively reared chickens are most likely caged animals which are denied the ability to roam around (no exercise hence the higher fat content). Wishing you a lovely day/evening
I’m not sure if i prefer my chickens to be raised by religious sects, financially supporting their cause, even if it means the chickens themselves might be a bit healthier…
You’d be surprised that a well reared chicken can have very tender and succulent breast meat. From my experience the supermarket offerings can be very hit and miss, regardless of whether they are free range or even organic, which is why I source all of my meat from the surrounding local farms. Wishing you a lovely day/evening
You can easily identify a hen that had a healthy life by the length of their legs.
If it’s had the chance to run about.
That chook looks positively anorexic. I think some of the worst false advertising comes from McDonalds, Burger King etc. Just compare the pictures in the advertising material to the rubbish they pass over the counter.
I had a Job is a food factory 40 yrs ago and I remember being shocked, ( naivety), that when it said 70% Pork on a Sausage Roll content it was true. BUT there was no lean meat content at all, none, zilch. Just Pork fat, rusk, seasoning, colour etc.
There was some lean meat in a sausage but not generally very much.
About 15 years ago there was a Burger King poster advert which I thought was brilliant. A picture of Ronald McDonald and the line " Eat like a King, not like a Clown"
Didn’t make me part with any cash though.
Mennonites are very simple, God-fearing group … I don’t judge, or care …
That is an odd brand name! Is theer a place called Diaper?
Right, I see founded by JH Diaper.
You could equally query why most of our meat is probably halal…including lamb from New Zealand.
From the words of the late Ernst Schneider of Davidoff:
Eat less, but the best.
Drink less, but the best.
Smoke less, but Davidoff.
It’s a principle that I abide by reverently. Wishing you a lovely afternoon
The scene in ‘Falling Down’ when Michael Douglas goes a bit potty springs to mind.
Isn’t that similar to things like ‘0% fat’ when actually it’s just less than some percentage?