Shoddy advertising - how do they get away with it?

This really annoys me as does the whole pathetic traffic light system which doesn’t tell you what you really want to know especially in terms of carb content!

According to the packaging they use 100% chicken breast but I agree that it is rather misleading.

1 Like

How the hell can you claim 100% chicken breast and nothing more then add a disclaimer saying it’s only 47%!

2 Likes

Exactly! You have to read the small print/disclaimers.

I think it is their way of saying that it only contains chicken breast as some people don’t like the legs etc.

2 Likes

I only got them for the kids who love those chicken nugget/dipper things as I thought there’s be a higher protein/carb ratio though admittedly if they have a ‘crumb coating’ or whatever I doubt that comes from a chicken.

I’m trying to comprehend how a quarter pounder can be 53% coating. I suspect that the wheat also bulks up and binds the chicken together.

1 Like

In fairness I just spotted an offer in Tesco and didn’t actually buy for the 100% meat assumption, rather that daughter doesn’t like beefburgers but loves chicken (leg more than breast!) so thought they might work for her.

I still feel the adverstising is shady at best.

1 Like

Alternatively, “because we’re trying to lie/hoodiwnk you!”.

1 Like

What also concerns me is that some types of food have been ‘engineered’ to be so moorish that they could be considered to be more addictive than smoking. The obesity epidemic comes to mind.

2 Likes

By law in the UK (though with some exemptions) the label must bear a declaration of nutrition information, including carbohydrate content in grams per 100g (=% by weight). That has been the case for some foods since 1996 and for virtually all prepacked foods since 2014 (other than limited period to give manufacturers time to change) . The ‘traffic light’ indication is supposed to be additional, for guidance of people who don’t understand the more detailed nutritional info.

I find the traffic light system amusing as it gives the impression that eating cheese will induce immediate cardiac arrest due to the high fat content :relaxed:

3 Likes

“Made from 100% chicken breast”, haha that’s great… if it contains any chicken breast at all it will always be technically correct ofcourse, since there is no such thing as a 90% chicken breast…

P.s., in NL they banned adding water to prepackaged chicken a number of years ago, and all the chicken sold was suddenly 50% lighter than before.

3 Likes

in the context of this sucject there can be: a product made of chicken, comprising 90% breast meat and 10% othe chicken meat.

1 Like

Yes but if you take the text literally, then the source of (part) of the meat was always a 100% chicken breast. So if you really want to do misleading advertising, which this already is IMO, then you can always claim that the product was made from 100% chicken breast.

Just like chicken McNuggets are made from 100% chicken breast (amongst a range of other things and/or animals…).

Retry: it’s a bit confusing to explain perhaps, but even if the end product contains 0.1% chicken breast, then that tiny amount was still “made from 100% chicken breast”.

2 Likes

Chickens are becoming obese:
Chicken-Size-Changes-1957-1978-2005

3 Likes

Very true and consumers are often mislead by claims that they do not fully comprehend :relaxed:

In this case it’s extra bad i guess because less than 50% of the total weight of the product is actually chicken, more than half is fatty rapeseed oil, rice and water…

I feel this one should be reported with the ASA:

(i don’t know if in the UK the ASA also covers product packaging)

2 Likes

@Alley_Cat
Chicken burgers are fairly straight forward to prepare. There are many examples on YouTube and it usually involves using a food processor on the chicken breast and adding an egg to bind the chicken, dipping in beaten eggs and then coating in breadcrumbs. I would highly recommend this chicken from Diaper Poultry as it is head and shoulders beyond any chicken available from the supermarket:

You should report it to your local Trading Standards authority.