Should we ban political posts?

As someone who has very strong views, it is a relief to read about music, hifi, wine, film, art (no theatre?) anything but politics .

This has been a bolthole away from the madness

2 Likes

The problem with political threads is we all wear our hard right, hard left or soft centre views on our selves making one vulnerable. In an ideal world these threads should be informative and at times funny, however some of us just canā€™t help our selves and they often deteriorate quickly.

2 Likes

personally i hate political correct. We are obliged to adopt this social friendly attitude in most cases in our life, outside our family or very near persons.
So i vote no. We can express different views, be ironical, and why not. If not, itā€™s boring for me.
The most important is to not insult ourselves or be rude. But i like to be a bit ā€œpiquant ā€œ sometimes. ( french term)

1 Like

What happens if the vote is 49/51, will we need another vote. :grin:

2 Likes

Voted ā€œNoā€.
Where does politics start and where they end? I disussing about Eton political or a question of society only? Is argueing on climate change a political question or a social question? Is a F1-thread a political statement in face of melting glaciers? I think there are far more political threads within Padded Cell than the obvious ones - if they are all closed we remain at quite harmless discussions on what is a good camera, wine, beer, gin, pets, picture, and, ok, challenging brain teasers.
In near past there were compliants from the old about the apolitical youth - at least in my country. Now the old ones donā€™t want to even allow discussion on politics. Well, this is strangeā€¦

3 Likes

:small_blue_diamond: Hi,.we were testing different contacts and IECā€™s on powercables yesterday.
I got home at 01.00 at night,.so I donā€™t know what happened in any thread after 17.00 a.m. yesterday.

:black_small_square:But my opinion is,.that I find it interesting with political threads.
Since this is an international forum,.I think it increases the understanding among us and of what is happening in different countries,especially now in the UK.

But it assumes that everyone takes responsibility for their own mood,if do not do soā€¦
My Suggestion Is Thatā€¦
ā€¢ You turn off that person from the thread,.instead of closing the whole thread.

One can first get a warning,.after that it is goodbye from the thread.

/PederšŸ™‚

2 Likes

ā€¦ phew ! thank you Kilian, even though the endorsement was a bit luke-warm :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think it does depend what you designate as ā€œpoliticalā€. A lot of the threads in the Padded Cell (and not just on political topics) do get long and heated, but except for the posts of a few extremists that tend to dominate the discussions, they can be interesting to read. There are occasional dire long threads elsewhere in the Forum too.

On the whole I would prefer that we didnā€™t ban discussion of anything, and I agree with one or two others that there are plenty of things to laugh at in the political topics without us having to descend into arguing with each other, especially as many of those posting in the political threads are never going to change their views because of what they read here.

But at the end of the day of course itā€™s for Naim to decide and Iā€™m happy that they (and Richard on their behalf) will do what they think is right for the forum that bears their brand.

Best

David

2 Likes

Well I for one hope they donā€™t labour the point,take a more conservative view of things,and then take a liberal view of this whole thread/no thread argument !

1 Like

Hi Peder,
Good idea, unfortunately forum software rarely allows blocking an individual from posting on a single specific thread (I donā€™t actually know of any that do allow that but then I havenā€™t looked at the ā€˜paid forā€™ forum systems only the free ones).

NO.
We should ban requests to ban this or that. If you donā€™t like the topic just stay out of it.

7 Likes

I voted no. I believe that, in all cases itā€™s possible for people to moderate their own language, itā€™s unfortunate that some chose to not do so.

In my case I will allow myself to go to a certain threshold of (to use FRā€™s word) ā€˜piquancyā€™, but after that if someone responds with a statement with which I disagree, phrased in a manner more extreme than my own tolerance level, I will try to respond with a counter argument, based on logic and most importantly expressed in a manner calmer than that of the post to which I am responding.

There are three flaws in this:
1 I donā€™t always succeed.
2 What I view as logic may not be viewed the same way by others.
3 Different people will have a different tolerance levels.

5 Likes

I voted no.

If someone isnā€™t interested in a topic or doesnā€™t like the way it is being discussed, then just ignore it (I very rarely read anything in the streaming room, this stuff is way above my head and streaming doesnā€™t interest me, nor do abstruse threads about cables so I just pass over them).

It is of course not my decision and itā€™s not my forum and I know many will disagree with me, but a lot of these contentious threads on this forum are a lot better behaved than one will find elsewhere. Yes, really.

4 Likes

uhh, donā€™t worry. Thread is about political posts, not brain teasers :wink:

Iā€™m sure we can manage to include the ā€˜Brain Teasersā€™ thread under the political umbrella via the principle of ā€˜Political Correctnessā€™!
:laughing:

:small_blue_diamond:@Xanthe,ā€¦Maybe @Richard.Dane can check it out with the supplier,.because I think itā€™s a shame that a whole thread disappears because of someone or some people.

Just look at my Greta Thunberg-thread,.today,Friday 27/9 is going on over 6631 climate-demonstrations in over 170 countries in the worldā€¦under Greta Thunbergā€™s movement ā€œFridayā€™s For Futureā€

I would put in some Swedish pictures and information about it.
But the thread is missing,.and I do not know what has happened in it the last night.

Very boring,.when you put down energy to create a thread and keep it running,.and so it disappears because someone,.or some can not behave.

/PederšŸ¤”

Otherwise known as ā€¦commonplace errorsā€¦ maybe!

This is correct. You cannot silence or apply automatic moderation to member for specific threads - only for the entire forum.

Iā€™ll comment further with regard to the subject of this thread later today. It has been interesting to read your comments and also to see the results of the poll posted by the OP, Mike S.

2 Likes

you can open part two. As i did for ā€œsystems pics of audio journalists ā€œ which closed twice.

I think itā€™s important people discuss whatever they want providing common sense and decency is applied. Itā€™s inevitable that moderation will be required, just as it is for any forum.

There is a difference between shouting ā€˜fascistā€™ at someone and saying their behaviour borders on fascism.

2 Likes