Show us what's inside

In that case this must be the non source end if the cable?

Yes but whats its purpose, & whats the other end connected to.

You might have unearthed something here. Not often you see a resisting device in something you’d expect to pass as much as possible.

Manipulation of cable specs I imagine. Isn’t that what is also in super lumina speaker cable in those black boxes on the end of the cables? It’s Probably so that different length cables can achieve the same resistance.

What I find odd is its only one resistor.
If its an attenuator I would expect to see two, one for each channel & both connected to the -ve (#2 pin)

Have a look here -

It might well be James, problem is 0.0 does say its a
" … Naim Hi-Line 5-Pin DIN to 5-Pin (£800.00) … "

Indeed Mike, but I suspect the resistor serves the same purpose. I’m sure Naim would provide you the answer for this particular cable configuration.

Can’t you not just plug it back to together? That’s what i do…Works a treat!

…And? please do enlighten us all…

Same here and his point is ???

Yes, it clips and unclips quite easily.

1 Like

What about if you twist it slightly, then rest it? Obviously, the plug clips together to begin with?

I’m not sure I understand you. I don’t have an issue with the cable, I just thought it suitable for posting in this thread.

2 Likes

Yes, at one end the box contains a resistor.

1 Like

I feel the same way. I support Naim and buy Naim products. I really don’t care what other manufacturers products sound like. It’s sort of a trust thing …

2 Likes

Probably the more electrically engineering inclined can weigh in on this. However, just thinking about how you safely drain a capacitor using a resistor, I have to wonder if this is just a way of ensuring the shield on the cable does not add more capacitance than Naim amps like to see.

Just about sums up how a few of us think.

1 Like

… and nothing … not really bover’d … just curious.

1 Like

The 470R resistor in the HiLine connects -ve to the cable outer screen (at the source end only).

1 Like