Show us what's inside

The 470R resistor in the HiLine connects -ve to the cable outer screen (at the source end only).

1 Like

This resistor does not effect the speaker cable itself.
Its connected between the two individual & isolated L & R channel cable screen braids, the screens are not connected to anything else, they are floating
As I understand it; this resistor is for RFI rejection. I also understand (???) the value varies according to cable length; if I read the colours correctly in ChisSU’s picture this one is 260kOhms

Assuming that the two cable screens are not attached to anything else, it keeps the two screens at the same potential.

It does, just with reference to what, if the braiding is not earthed ( at the non source end)

Yeah I saw that it was connected to the screen and realised that it couldn’t be attenuating the signal. I don’t know enough to know what the heck it is doing there though. I read that post before about why they do it but it went in one ear and out the other. :joy:

1 Like

I thought my RCA to DIN IC had the screen connect to signal earth at the DIN end.

Phil

Looks like 47 ohms to me. That third band is black not brown?
Best

David

FWIW that’s on one end of a 5 metre cable. The box on the other end is empty, so I have no idea why it’s there.

I expect that is so, but this is not that same cable, this is DIN-DIN & connecting the overall screen at source end is better.

1 Like

It might well be 47, .jpg colour definition is not that accurate over web.
I question the need for a resistor, I’ve always gone direct

Apart from equalising the individual channel screens potential & maybe a zeroing a localised high RFI area of one channel, I’m with you on that one Chris.

Being in a mildly argumentative mood, it’s 270K not 260K. Apart from the obvious purple colour, 26 is not in the E24 (or any) range of resistor values!

1 Like

I will inform my on-line calculator.

If you enter violet on the 2nd band, it 270k.
Enter blue, it’s 260k.

I’m beginning to wish I’d never opened the box now!

3 Likes

I wonder if we can run shorter lengths of loudspeaker cables with this construction. I noticed that SL cables are available shorter than the 3.5 minimum length.

According to a HiFi mag review of SL cables, the loop inductance is 0.74uH/m which is less than the 1uH/m of NACA5. Therefore ‘in theory’ it means the minimum for SL needs to be longer.
I suspect Naim would wish this 3.5m thing would die on the vine

3 Likes

Thanks. Personally I have no issues with longer cables. I move the stuff around all the time and short cables are inconvenient.

I’ve pointed this out a few times, you’d need 5, they sell 2. I think the requirement simply doesn’t apply to newer amps.

But the 3.5m is in this forum’s FAQ, so I would say that Naim is at least is indifferent about it. But the cynic in me says they might want to keep it alive simply to sell more speaker cable, which in all likelihood is their biggest margin product.

1 Like

That may be your suspicion. Perhaps there’s another possibility?

The older Naim amplifiers including the chrome bumper, olive and possibly the early slimline cased amplifiers are still bought and used by many, many people. These older amplifiers were designed for the minimum inductance provided by 3.5m lengths of NACA4 or NACA5. Could it be that Naim simply wants to look out for the owners of its older amplifiers?

Best regards from the owner of 3 Naim power amplifiers that DO need 3.5m+ lengths of NACA5.

3 Likes

Yes exactly. It’s violet and as well as that, no one makes 260K resistors, not in 5% tolerance (which is what the gold fourth band indicates) anyway!

1 Like