Show us what's inside

I did warn him!

1 Like

The two look remarkably similar considering:
"Uniti Nova features outstanding technology that sets it apart from the rest of the range. In service of exceptional sound, it uses the highest-quality discrete components, a large toroidal transformer, superior isolation, additional inputs and more powerful amplification (80 Watts).

As well as superior components and more power, the larger transformer/superior isolation is key to the Uniti Nova’s performance uplift – makes it more like a two-box Naim system, keeping the power supply away from sensitive electronics."

The larger transformer is of course obvious, but where is this superior isolation making it effectively a two-box system?

They don’t, see the Stereophile review, specifically the page about measurements.

But not sure if it’s ever a problem in the real world. I’ve certainly never had any such issue with my Star.

It’s not in the middle. It’s off to the side. Guess that’s the separation they are taking about, ie as much as can be achieved in a single box.

Audio Note Ongaku.
No printed circuit boards here to visually tidy things up. All point to point wiring.
Just thought I’d remind some that tidiness is a compromise.

5 Likes

Inside an audio Innovations 500

Luxman Mq68c

4 Likes

Leak TL12 Plus

As rebuilt by Glenn Croft. The other one is the same, but the other way around.

5 Likes

I see, but that’s the same for the Star. My point was that it’s marketed as if it’s very different for the Nova from the rest of the range (Star & Atom), but at least where the Star’s concerned it looks remarkably similar.

There seems to be a large electrolytic there with no connections to it - any idea why?

The original is a big gold block which is visible on the top, between the transformers. It is replaced by the black cap to the left with the brass fixing ring. All I know is these are the finest sounding amps I’ve had and when I clean the bottom and put some feet back on, I’ll stick some electricity through them for the first time in more than ten years and see what happens.

Common sense to me that sounds
I mean why buy something you don’t like the sound off but for the looks or maybe for the name

Bloody gorgeous that I’ve always wanted to have a listen to a Croft amp, one day maybe

What are the extra under chassis valves doing?

Absolutely no idea, you would have to ask Glenn.
These were run with a Croft Super Micro.
I had a 1989 full spec LP12, Koetsu Red, Croft Super Micro, Leak TL12 Plus, ProAc Mini Towers.
The imaging was astounding, the top and mid was outrageous, the bass was ok.
Sold it all in ‘92, except these amps, it paid for two years of university.

CD555PSU before and after its Jab :grinning:

4 Likes

The shame of it exposing those internals and built in Asia too must sound horrible!!!

3 Likes

It is cooked in Asia since it looks like a pot of noodles :slight_smile:

1 Like

We moved just a week ago and I’m tired of emptying boxes so I thought I’d post something here. Noticing an almost complete absence of speakers on this thread I thought I would add mine and talk about them a little bit. Excuse the mess.

PureAudioLogic Trio 15 Classic:

An open baffle speaker with 3 drivers … 2 X 15" woofers and a Voxativ AC-PiFe full range driver

Front screen off:

Solid oak frame … each speaker weighs around 60lbs … the grills are magnetically attached to both the front and the back of the speaker.

The Voxativ driver construction is very interesting in that the all the white/light material you see here is either wood veneer, solid wood or paper

The back:

The speakers are around H:50" (125cm) x W:23.5" (56cm) x D:15" (38cm) … Sensitivity 96 db making them easy to drive, Impedance 8 ohms and a frequency response of 29hz to 20Khz

Backless:

I have upgraded the internally cabling replacing it with the foil/ribbons you see here. If you look carefully you can see the magnets embedded in the side wall of the frame …

Back of the Voxativ driver … and yes, I installed it at an angle … looks great from the front.

Here’s the Mundorf cross-over installed on the base of the speaker frame … all the components are attached via screws, no soldering at all, meaning you can swap and replace components … a speaker equivalent of “tube rolling”

another perspective …

Back to the boxes … and the unpacking …

16 Likes

Very interesting speakers there John. How long have you had them ?