Show us your ATCs

Thank you

It seems that the link was removed from my previous post. I didn’t know that it’s against the rules of Naim-forum to provide links to useful guides and help people to learn new things. Well it’s quite easy to google it with words ”a guide how to do room correction”.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Forum rules; no links to other forums.

1 Like

Thanks Patu
Think I will try my hand with some measurements. Something I’ve been meaning to do for a while but like Gary I’m not too techy myself. Will try REW and look into Roon or alternative DSP corrections.
Stu

2 Likes

Ah - just realised 272 doesn’t support Roon!
Will have a rethink

You can get round that problem. I did, with a 272.

Thanks NoNaim I will use the search facility and see what I can find. Think the first thing is to get some room measurements.

@StuW Try search “small green computer” You will find what you are looking for. I know, I have one and used it with a 272. :blush:

1 Like

I’ve spent a fortune trying to ensure this happens!

3 Likes

Good topic and not enough discussion or understanding. Theres an acoustician I work with in the UK for studio builds - he told me one of his mentors back in the day used to say everything ‘You pay for my work up to 400Hz - everything above 400Hz is free!’. A major chunk of his design process is a modal analysis based on the dimensions of the space and defining resonant bass absorbers tuned to the right frequencies and placed correctly in the room. For those geeky enough to want to know more there are plenty of search terms and online tools to assist. There’s also a vast number of BBC R&D papers on the topic. Treating reflections with absorption/diffusion is relatively easy by comparison as it’s a matter geometry and quantity to hit a certain reverb time. Get it right and the only EQ required is to compensate for 1/2 1/4 or 1/8th space loudspeaker placement (in most rooms this is a 63Hz hump) and maybe an HF tweak depending on the off axis response of the speakers you are using. I’d like to see a DSP digital in/out loop through on gear to allow for this to integrate!

3 Likes

Thanks for the info LJ
I have never used REW but have worked out the bass lines of a few songs that are occasionally problematic and C seems to produce a mode in my room which corresponds with 63Hz.
It would be interesting to compare my findings with REW analysis which I plan to do.
I need to look more in depth at DSP I think once I have analysed my room.

I’ve just added a klimax kontrol as a replacement to a music first silver passive pre. I will say it was a bit of a punt but l’m very impressed with it. I’ve got a bit more solidity and depth to the sound which seemed to be missing with the mfa.
A major benefit is as i use an e.a.r hp4 headphone amp from the rca output (volume set to max) and control the headphone’s volume via the hp4; i no longer need to remember to turn the pre down as you can set a default level at turn on :grinning: so no more accidental blasting the speakers at full volume!!!

Note to self never buy used speakers from Lazyscott :wink:

5 Likes

You haven’t met his twin brother deafscott yet …

4 Likes

Located in the USA and looking at my local dealers website I noticed that the current line of ATC Speakers have been dropped about 30%. If you are in the market it may be a good time to work out a deal. Perhaps something new being released soon…

2 Likes

Just picked them up 2 weeks early and very lucky to have a best mate with a London Black cab . They just fitted in with me …

16 Likes

If they were the towers, there probably wouldn’t have been enough room for your mate, let alone you :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope you enjoy them. I think the general feeling (ATC subscribe to this view) is that they don’t need “running in” as such. I felt my 40a’s were good to go out of the box(es)

2 Likes

Thanks , I’m probably gonna have to be patient setting them up this weekend but at least they are here and can’t wait !

1 Like

Hope you did not forget the stands boxes :blush: