Show us your ATCs

Anyone experienced how these work in smaller rooms. Too much speaker?

beautiful speakers, congrats Pete!

1 Like

Sadly they were “too much speaker” in my room. That said the 40’s work a treat and since I tried the 50’s I have done some more work on room treatment and added Townshend podiums which in conjunction with the treatment have resolved most of my room issues so maybe something to revisit in the future.

Gary

1 Like

ATC SCM50ASLT, SCM20 ASL

17 Likes

What are your 50’s sitting on?

They look gorgeous Pete! Happy listenings!

Oh btw, you have the stands backwards. That horizontal bar should be on the backside. I’m sure it won’t affect the sound quality but it’s more visually pleasing the other way around :slight_smile:

I have 30mm thick and very dense black granite slabs under mine. On top of them I use Linn Skeets and stock spikes on ATC’s. This helped to raise the midrange driver to ear level, as it should be with 50’s.

1 Like

Metal stands - sq is much better

1 Like

Most probably because they sit much higher from the floor. I assume the midrange element is also closer to the ear level this way.

Probably yes.
Stands are on spikes reversed. So you can move them around.
Speakers are on the spikes and cold ray cones - so no vibrations

1 Like

2 Likes

I realised with the stands but too late … it was a busy day … I’ll change them around the next time I’ve got some strong help .

My floors are really solid but I’ll have a look at some plinths for sure . I’m using some 18mm MDF packers to help with placement and the height seems perfect . Lots of little tweaks ahead but the main thing is they fit in here sonically and aesthetically . Amazing speakers .

2 Likes

Thanks Mario !

1 Like

Looking tremendous.
If only I had a bigger room (and wallet) :relaxed:

1 Like

I hoped to hear a 250dr on end but dealer sold his demo. Offering to demo with the new 250 but reluctant to pay the price, he may have a trade in 300dr for the demo which may be cheaper.
Also hear the pmc 25.24.

Unless you have a reasonably big room, i.e. bigger than 16x12, then buy the 23’s :blush:

1 Like

Hi Pato,
Onsidering auditioning the actives now
Can always trade in SN3 against a preamp (280)?

Thanks for your help

In my opinion, PMC speakers carry a tune better than ATC speakers. In that, listening to PMC speakers, make your feet want rot tap along to the music. Do not get me wrong, ATC speakers are very detailed, but they sound like a control room monitor speakers. They just do not have that sound, which carries a tune. :blush: Before people chide in, I have owned PMC Twenty5 23, Twenty5 26, ATC SCM40 and ATC SCM40A. My next speaker will be PMC Twenty5 23i. :blush:

2 Likes

I’d agree ATCs are the more surgical tool for mixing, which may, or may not be, a good thing at home. I personally never got on with PMCs midrange, but I don’t have your extensive PMC experience to be fair, just what I heard in studios; a bit of ‘that’s not how that sounds’. Of course, in the end it’s all about opinions, because it’s what sounds right to you that matters, there are no universal right answers.

2 Likes

Please do not get me wrong out there people, ATC SCM40 speakers in all variants are a tremendous speaker. However, to me the PMC Twenty5 23 just carries a tune better. If you remember, the Linn Sondek point of view, about tapping your foot, to the music being played. Well, this is the point about PMC’s Twenty5 23’s (all variants), in the appropriate room. I know the ATC 40’s are a more detailed speaker, with more depth and faster dynamics. However, does the music make you want to tap your feet, as when listening to PMC Twenty5 23’s, or do just want to listen to how good the ATC 40’s can sound. :blush:

2 Likes

Interesting take, I changed from PMC Twenty5 23’s to ATC40A last time. I found the PMC’s holding back things, lacking a bit of presence, not so with the ATC’s. l’m not sure about the foot tapping being just a PMC thing, I think both speakers are capable of creating that type of emotion.
The PMC’s are fine speakers though.

2 Likes