Show us your ATCs

It’s no Secret is on “Takes Off”, the pre-Grace Signe Anderson album, and probably the most Balin-esque of their oeuvre.

I can’t play a note, myself, but I think Casady’s playing is ahead if it’s time on Takes Off

2 Likes

Let’s hear it for the little guys, my SCM7s.

41 Likes

Top plates shaped to suit Chris! I like your style.!

Thank you! When I was looking for stands, I noticed the custom-shaped top plates on a pair of stands for SCM11s on the Audio Chic site. I liked the look, and went for a pair.

1 Like

You’re correct, for some reason I always associate it with Surrealistic Pillow, check out the live version on ‘Bless its Pointed Little Head’ his playing is fantastic.

1 Like

I will. Avoiding too much thread drift, he’s very good on “She has Funny Cars” as well.

1 Like

I added ChordMusic power cords to my active 50s and 350 watts sounded like 500 watts to my ears. More power and more control. I also upgraded the interconnects and they made a difference too.
There was a HiFi Critic review that extolled the virtues of upgrading the ATC supplied cables, but like anything, it wasn’t bad before and whether the upgrade is worth the coin is only for you to decide.

1 Like

Thanks, I changed out the XLR’s for Tellurium Black II when I bought the speakers just haven’t done anything about the power cables.

1 Like

Look great in white on the wood stands. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks Stu. When I was looking for new speakers I decided that there had to be a design element in their appeal. The merely functional would no longer do. Then I saw the customised wooden tripod stands. I was sold.

2 Likes

I’ve never even plugged in the stock power cords on mine. Back in the day when I used Naim with the passive 40’s and later changed to 40A, I used Naim stock power cords on them also. ATC supplies the speakers with power cords of 0.75mm2 conductor thickness. Naim I-SHENG stock cable is 1.00mm2. Obviously thickness of conductors isn’t all but anyway.

Nowadays I have custom made (small cable manufacturer in Finland) unshielded power cables with Furutech connectors running from the power strip (Furutech e-tp68e) to my ATC’s. From power strip there’s a same run of this custom made power cable to a wall socket. Bigger sound and the bass depth and authority is clearly the most obvious difference compared to Naim I-SHENG cables.

My dac/pre and power supply for streamer and switch use I-SHENG. Difference there (IME) is negligible compared to ATC’s.

2 Likes

Regarding power cable, I find that the original one with 0.75mm² are just fine. The standard from Naim in 1mm² increase bass but also blur the mids, tried also some in 1.5mm², it was even worse, more bottom which mask the mids. Naim’s Powerline didn’t brought something interesting too.
Same results with my Dave and SPL preamp. Don’t want to loose agility on the bottom and clariry in the mids.

About the SCM50 Active…

I notice that the ‘Pro’ version is a couple of grand cheaper than the ‘domestic’ version. That does seem a substantial saving. Any thoughts or comments?

Looks prettier as well. It doesn’t have that protruding front panel. Of course, as Mr Ford said, “Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants, so long as it is black.” :wink:

Many would say that the Pro-model looks more pro and less domestic. Also there’s no selection of different finishes, it’s only black. Pro-version doesn’t come with the grilles and ships without the dedicated stands also. It has identical construction otherwise, but there’s this curved “frame” around the baffle which helps with baffle diffraction. On domestic version the grilles work as the “frame”. ATC has voiced domestice version with the grilles on, Pro-version is voiced without the grilles obviously. Sorry if I use wrong terminology, English isn’t my first language.

2 Likes

Rosewood is a must I think - life becomes an exciting thing

This same question was asked on another hifi forum. The main point raised was the quality of the black finish (on the pro) is very poor. Fine for getting chucked around studio but not wife friendly :wink:

I looked at the Pro versions before I bought my 40’s , I thought the Pro finish quite suited the smaller models and I was more than tempted by the 25’s but like Patu I feel the extra for the Classic 50’s is worth it .

They are really well finished and look much better in the flesh than in any images you’ll find on the web .

1 Like

You guys are doing a great job of convincing me to spend a good chunk of my time at the Bristol HiFi Show in the ATC room. Passionate advocacy is very evident here and usually a good sign. I’m especially interested to hear some active models from the 40’s up, but also have in mind the smaller stand mounts for a possible second system in my guitar (bed)room fronted by a 272 and 250.

2 Likes

You should certainly give them a listen. They are a match made in heaven with naim electronics to my mind.

Ooowf!! You know how to hurt a bloke!

1 Like