Show us your ATCs

I had a pair of active 50s and ran them for many years. They were very dynamic and fast, which I loved. My only grumble was that the tweeters became rough after a while. I arranged for ATC to replace them and the magic was restored. Counter-intuitively, for me at least, the new tweeters markedly improved the bass! I understand that ATC now uses an improved tweeter. Of course, I found out about this improved design only after my tweeters had been replaced like for like.

1 Like

What has pleased me since getting my ATC’s is the improved detail in the lower frequencies: I did like my Ushers, but it does show the difference a pair of speakers can make.

It would also suggest to me that the inbuilt amplifiers are no make-weights, but very competent in their contribution to the package.

It also seems that no-one else likes their ATC’s in white!

My SCM40’s are in Cherry finish and have darkened despite not being in direct sun.

I can see the difference clearly when I remove the grills to reveal a small area of the shaded original lighter finish.

I totally agree with your comments. However, with the cherry SCM40, you could see over time where the sunlight had passed over the speakers. It was as if the cherry colouring, was being bleached or washed out of the cabinet. I had an oak pair of PMC Twenty5 26 speakers in the same position. I could tell no difference to the oak finish. Hopefully, mine were a rogue finished pair. :smile:

My ATC SCM40 speakers (passive with a NAP250 DR). No problems with sunlight. Agree the cherry finish darkens with time.
I’m very happy with these speakers. I was interested in the active version but the dealer didn’t have them for a demo. Might go for a listen to the SCM50 one day.

22 Likes

I tried the 50’s but they put too much energy in my room. I have added a Rel 512 sub to help with a room issue but I have the say the active 40’s a superb.
Gary

18 Likes

I have just bought a mint pair of 20ASLT’s. Just need to sell my SN3 and SCM11’s to fund a nice preamp…

2 Likes

Ebay? i was watching a pair…

Yes, apart from the grills they are mint. The dealer has ordered a new pair for me. Going to run them from my SN3 for now until its sold. Picked them up this morning. I would like to keep my ND5 XS2 but I am really tempted to go for the Atom HE, going to have to try one I think.

3 Likes

Previously posted in ‘System Pics’ but posted again for the fun of it!

23 Likes

I do like that ‘source’ :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I quite like the Picoreplayer operating system, although it isn’t particularly family friendly and requires a bit of knowledge to shut down as it is not idiot proof, that said I have yet to corrupt the operating system which is more than can be said of some Rpi implementations I have tried.

I am also about to upgrade the VU meter driver, so that will be fun. My original plan was to reuse as much of the Sony electronics as possible, including the PSU TX, regulators and VU meter system, but it isn’t the best, as an engineer at the BBC once said of VU meters, “Virtually Useless”

I have just realized that I didn’t think to switch it all on, Duh!

Probably too focused on trying to keep the clutter out of the image.

1 Like

Glorious SCM7s here

43 Likes

Satin white really suits the 7’s !

2 Likes

My 50 ASLTs (one of them!) in the premium Rosewood finish

28 Likes

Thanks. To my eye, all the ones with curved sides suit white. But the flat sided studio monitor types suit wood veneers. It’s something about the thick black baffle. Professional, utility, working look.

Beauty very much in the eye etc.

More pics please…

1 Like

I do like the look of the bigger rectangular ATC speakers, if I recall correctly the SCM50 and 100’s, they look very ‘business like’ to my eye.

I heard someone else demoing a pair at the dealers, even from out side the room with the door closed I could tell that they were moving some air. ‘Trouser flapping’ as guitarists might say! :0)

1 Like

Their rectangular shape looks very traditional which does resonate with me. I’d love to have the active 50’s, but I can only realistically dream of an approval for 19a’s I’m afraid.

If my SBL’s get replaced it’s probably by actives which should go nicely with the Atom HE or 272 successor.

1 Like

16 Likes

I think that’s a good description. My dealer had some 50s, 100s and possibly 150s on display. Big, solid boxes. Not the sort of pretty curved shapes that a lot of speakers are today.

1 Like