Show us your camera

Yes @A-Fin the 12-100. Very light, versatile and a great ‘daily’ lens. The other lens I have for this body is the 100-400. These two lenses basically cover all my needs, particularly with the cameras built-in 2x teleconverter, which is useful for bird trips out. I don’t miss lumping around loads of heavy glass, that’s for sure.

1 Like

You should see these, Wowzer they are pristine .

Things of beauty

I do ‘get’ the benefit of very wide range telephotos, The image quality with bigger and less complicated glass is likely to be significantly better, however whether evident to the hobbyist depends on how it is viewed (if only on a smallish screen or printed A4 or smaller it might not be). Meanwhile with subjects that cannot be carefully arranged or is time limited, like wildlife photography, the difference between having the camera with appropriate length lens and fumbling for the right lens, or not having at all because to heavy, may be no image vs an image. The ultimate must be Nikon’s Coolpix 1000, with 24-3000 lens… (?)

Is it the Olympus or Panasonic 100-400? It was a while ago now but I had the Panasonic one… another good lens and a lot smaller than the FF lenses.

@Innocent_Bystander When I’m out I rarely ever change lenses, just take 2 cameras with the focal lengths required and just swap between the two cameras. I do a lot of cycling stuff like that. One with a 100-400 setup and the other with with 24-105.

However, if I’m just out and about with the better half a one camera one lens policy is a lot nicer to have. For me that is a 35mm or 50mm these days.

It is the Olympus 100-400. With the inbuilt teleconverter (which takes it to 800mm) you do lose some definition, but it is a great compromise and you can still ‘get close’. This was taken last week from about 150 metres away.

3 Likes

I take one of the pocket compact Olympuses when on holiday, supplemented by my iPhone. I only take the Canon when going somewhere where I know I want to try to capture really good shots, when choice of lens depends on where going, either taking just one, or limiting to two, carried on my waist in a Thinktank bumbag type bag. However on a safari I did last year swapping between the 100-400 outside the bush and 24-105 when we went in, I wished I’d also taken my wideangle because even 24mm was too long a focal length when a charging elephant stopped just in front of the vehicle(!), whilst at times I wished I had longer than 400.

I’ve never had the luxury of two camera bodies (I sold my previous 550D to part fund the R - perhaps I should have kept it, but that would be more bulk and weight to carry).

Just remembered I posted more info about my cameras in the previous “show us your cameras” thread:

1 Like

I had one of those for a while, I sold it on after a couple of months, the vignetting was unacceptably high. Pity, as I thought the OM series was wonderful.

5 Likes

Yashica FX-3.

The fact Yashica manufactured the Contact 139 is very obvious. :blush:

7 Likes

My Pentax ES

Imgur

8 Likes

I belive Yashica or Kyocera as they became part of, made all the modern Contax cameras, starting with the original RTS. Mine were all clearly marked Made in Japan.

Some of the Zeiss lenses were also marked Made in Japan - all of mine were (50mm/1.7, 28mm/2.8, 35mm, 2.8 and 25mm/2.8).

1 Like

NOT MINE These are Graham 55’s Nikons that he was talking about in post 35 on this thread

My digital photos do not do justice to the quality of these wonderful machines. This model was built for a polar expedition in the late 1970s . Of the Titanium models only 5,000 were built without the Titan logo .

14 Likes

It’s the sound and feelof the F2 shutter that makes it all worthwhile

1 Like

I did have a polite drool over them

My humble Sony with Zeiss optics

4 Likes

Sound ideally would be absent. Feel ? Positive, knowing exactly when it triggers.

My lovely old FM2, with its superb Nikkor lens:

Imgur

10 Likes

The lighting makes that lense look radioactive :radioactive:.

Be careful. :grin:

My Leica M9/Summicron 50mm, still giving faithful service after 13 years:

Imgur

Imgur

17 Likes

My Canon A1 has a bad cough.

It shouldn’t have a cough, but I quite like it.

1 Like

My M8 lasted 10 years before the shutter exploded! I used it with a 40 ‘cron, a great value lens and, with the crop factor, nearly a standard 50.

Long may your 9 last.

G

2 Likes