Show us your guitars!

Some very ‘pointy’ guitars there. Bit of a metal fan, maybe… :thinking:

7 electric
4 acoustic (inc a resonator and a 12 string)
A lap steel
An electric bass
An acoustic bass
2 mandolins and a mando-ukelele

I’ll leave it there - I was already pushing it with the mandolins…

1 Like
  • 1 nylon string Spanish guitar - cost me £4.99 which kick started me to learn guitar during the pandemic;

• 1 Martin DXA1E acoustic;

• 1 Epiphone Les Paul 1957 or 1959 style manufactured in 1996.

I am resisting buying anymore until I can play to a level I’m happy with and then would fancy a Martin D25 or similar.

Oh, and I just love the sound of my £4.99 Spanish guitar!

:grin:

2 Likes

As well as the above, I have an acoustic with nylon strings that I bought for £10 from a car boot sale about 20 years ago. One of the tuning pegs has come off, but I used a dremel to make a slot in it so I can tune with a screwdriver.

It’s so easy and fun to play I can’t bring myself to get rid of it!

1 Like

Now with pictures -

9 Likes

How many guitars we own can be a bit of a divisive subject considering how much room they take up. Much the same as big hi fi systems…

Anyway, I have sold my modest collection and whittled it down to just four, thinking quality over quantity. They are:

Martin D41
Taylor 414ce R
Taylor 352 12 string 12 fret.
Fender Telecaster Ultra.

7 Likes

Seeking ideas for a small “practice” amp. I think I’ll buy myself an electric guitar and amp for my upcoming birthday.

I’ve had Gibson SG and ES335 before (sold them off years ago), but I might get a Stratocaster this time. My hands arent all that big and I think that SG had a long neck and kinda long scale.

But I want a little amp that I can entertain myself with at low to moderate volume. One choice is that little Yamaha amp that gets a lot of good reviews. Or I could get something with no modelling/effects and do that all via pedals . . . or get a full modelling amp. I just like effects to entertain myself. I do think I’d enjoy a tape-sounding delay for example.

I have a Roland Cube 10Gx Guitar Amplifier, Compact 10-Watt Guitar Amp with Custom-Designed 8-Inch Speaker.

Bought it a few years ago when it got rave reviews. I see it’s still on sale for just over £100.

2 Likes

I have one of those but it didn’t do it for me so I got a Cornell Romany 10. Very happy with that.

Look at the Positive Grid product(s), or if you want something really small and more basic, the Blackstar mini amp can be a great option.

1 Like

I now have a Blackstar HT1R.
Love it… Cost me £110, pre-loved, via eBay.

Before that I had a Roland Cube 15X. Much prefer the HT1… :smiley:

2 Likes

Bart,
As @DrMark suggesrts, have a look at the Positive Grid Spark. I don’t have one myself, but if you’re looking to experiment with effects, I suspect this will keep you entertained and motivated for years.

1 Like

Hi Bart. The SG looks like it has a long scale, but actually has a smaller scale (24.75 inch) than a Strat (25.5] so you should probably check the Fender out and try one before you buy if you are concerned about your hand size. Welcome back to the frustrations and great pleasures of playing guitar!

4 Likes

Pretty much all Gibson or Epiphone guitars have a 24.75 inch scale - whereas most/all Fenders or Squiers have a 25.5 inch scale.

Personally, I have found the Fender style neck to be my preference.

YMMV, etc… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Also relevant is neck shape or profile. Slimmer profiles might suit smaller hands better. Fender, for sure, offers numerous different profiles, so it’s really important to try before you buy.

Ian, yes I do like metal although I tend to have quite diverse tastes in music. I do have other more conventional shaped guitars but I have the Mosers mainly because they are very flexible guitars, the fretwork/neck set up is the best I have encountered and he is one of the few builders that uses top flight Kahler trem systems which I much prefer over a Floyd Rose (I am in the minority here). He also makes more conventional styles more like a Strat or Tele which play and sound just as good

1 Like

Flexible guitars, with good hardware will go along way. While my guitars are all well down the food chain, a poor neck or poor hardware don’t last long with me. My Parts-casters have all ‘evolved’ via several iterations, before I have been happy with them. All part of the fun…! I now try to avoid anything which says Made in China. Made in Indonesia is much better…!

Having said that, several of my guitars have been just ‘right’ as they were. My Epiphone LP is un-moded, as are my Squier Tele Custom and my Schecter 7 string.

But my ‘best’ and go-to guitar is my H-H Partscaster. Its wired with a 5 way Superswitch which allows me to split the humbuckers, for close-to single coil sound. Its flexible…

1 Like

Ian, I agree that the Squiers are remarkable value especially if you are willing to upgrade the pickups which, in my opinion, is a weak point. One of my favorite guitar players, Steve Rothery, used an early Squier for years and still does occasionally. The same with Francis Dunnery from It BItes. Another of my favorites, Steve Hackett, uses a Burny/Fernandes Les Paul copy live. I have versions of both these guitars including a Steve Rothery “signature” Blade strat and a Fernandes LP copy with a sustainer pickup and a Floyd on it. I also own a couple of guitars from a small luthier based in Croydon (Feline guitars) who would be my go-to if I still lived in the UK not only for guitars but also for setup and repair. He does amazing work.

Here is an example of a Blackmachine that is actually built by Feline.

6 Likes

As does another of my faves’s, Robert Fripp. Although… both are using these for their Sustainer functions, I think…?

I am not a believer in expensive pickups, preferring decent-but-not-expensive ones. But… the only Squier of mine with its standard pup’s in the Tele Custom, which has a Fender branded Wide Range Humbucker neck and a Seymour Duncan Designed bridge.

My H-H Strat has Vanson '57 Alnico II pups, my RS Strat has Wilkinson Ceramics (*) and my TeleStrat has Ironstones (Alnico III neck, Alnico V bridge - I already had these, from a previous Tele I made).

(* - ideally, I wanted Mini Trisonics, but they were expensive and now are not available)