Show us your headphones

Thanks @Tolomeo , enjoy!

Mobile setup:

Main setup:

atb, Tom

15 Likes

7 Likes

Just have the Meze Empyrean, wonderfull headphone.

6 Likes

I love my Empyreans

1 Like

Taht’s clearly a fantastic headphone, i upgrade it with the silver calble, and its now less darker, and provide more details in HF. This cable even if expensive is a great upgrade.
what amp are you using?
currently i have a DAC V1, bu i really think i should invest in something more powerfull to drive it.

Violectric V281 as the amp. The combination is wonderful.

I’ve also upgraded with the silver cable, balanced in my case to take full advantage of the V281.

1 Like

How would you describe the difference between the Meze and your Sennheiser HD800S?

Cheers!!

They are indeed… I love mine. If you haven’t tried it, the silver upgrade cable is also well worth a listen with the Empyrean!

Sign says use headphones! I got a fostex900 and hd5xx in their boxes

Fostex will be in my wall as well

11 Likes

Hi Tom, is that an Audio Technica ATH-ADX5000? I’ve got a pair as well and it’s my favorite set so far! Some head phones start to hurt your ears after a while, but not these. very comfortable and even more important, great sound. I play them with either an AK SE200 (balanced) or a Naim Headline (unbalanced). Could you elaborate on your main headphone system?

InEar PMX with the Han Sound Aegis 8 wire - cable

6 Likes
  • 1 for the Dekoni ear pads which I have put onto my Focal Elears - at receipt on Friday. They are more comfortable and sound as good if not slightly better than the originals (Hugo2 into Lehmann Black Cube headphone amp).
1 Like

Mobile Setup:
Iphone 12 mini>Chord Hugo>Sony Mh755

11 Likes

How do you find the Sony’s?

Portable setup.

11 Likes

They sound wonderful. I listened to many very expensive in ears. Campfire, Meze, 64 Audio, ….
I was ready to spend 2k€. Most of them had several drivers. They all sounded not cohesive. The Mh755 just sound right.

3 Likes

I started to enjoy headphones for the first time a few years ago, and think I have now completed my ‘journey’ with these ZMF Verite Closed back in olive wood.

I wanted to get a bit more quality than I had from the Grado GS3000e and because I was occasionally listening in the room with Mrs W if I could get this from a closed-back design then all the better. The Grado leaked sound even at low listening volumes.

Auditioned Focal Stellia vs these ZMF. The Focal give amazing resolution and sound dynamic and punchy but for me a bit too much so. I tend to listen to quieter, more intimate music in my collection through headphones and the Focal seemed more suited to loud and more hectic music; which they did very well to be fair. The ZMF are unapologetically warmer. The UK dealer described them as ‘lush’ which I think is an exaggeration but they certainly have a fuller bodied and less ‘technical’ presentation than the Stellia. Great sub-bass but not quite as dynamic or punchy lower end as the Focal. Superb detail and soundstage but still feels natural. They need a while to loosen up from new and over a few weeks the top end has opened out but the icing on the cake has been a Nordost Blue Heaven cable upgrade that just added a bit of high end clarity and tightened things up a bit too. Incidentally ZMF sell upgrade cables, and supply both a standard and balanced (with XLR termination) stock cable with each purchase. You also get a choice of ear pads that apparently tune the sound a bit but on a quick back-to-back I was not sure of any change.

As you can see they also look lovely and I find them comfortable and easy to adjust. ZMF sell small batches in various limited edition wood varieties, as well as a ‘stock’ wood choice (currently Sapele). I suspect the Verite open back is a bit special too, but most reviewers seemed impressed by how good the closed version sounded against this so I am very happy.

Incidentally they appear easy to drive so I am using them not just in my main system (Trilogy 933 headphone amp) but with my Astell + Kern Kann Alpha to good effect.

Bruce

17 Likes

I’m in the market for some new headphones and the choices are staggering.

They are to replace a pair of Audeze EL8 closed back which have really gone down hill, budget around £300, need comfort and reasonable sound quality and the source will be a NAIT XS2. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD800’s for my main system. But this is for listening in fairly short bursts whilst I am incapacitated. Have been recommended the Meze 99 but am not able to audition them or any at the moment.

Tim

Never heard the Meze, but they seem a solid Forum choice in that price range. I’d guess you’ll get more than a few recommendations for them.