Show us your Kans

My brother has my original Mk1 Kans and stands; although I think the latter are Sound Organisation. He uses a Nait 1 with some sort of streaming feed. My current pair are also Mk1 but are pre-loved from a chap in Southampton. They sit on the floor in the mezzanine bathroom of my summer bedroom and are served by a Unitiqute. I’ve not moved bedrooms yet so it’s a bit dusty up there; it is however a lovely space to listen to music and the radio - so much better than the ceiling speakers that serve the other bedroom, study and kitchen.

2 Likes

I remember, I think in the late 80s, a local dealer played Billie Jean quite loud on an LP12 into a Naim pre and I think a 250, into some Kans. I was amazed at the sound.

3 Likes

In terms of balance, CB250 was my fav NAP with Kan 1s. Never got to hear them with 135s or a bolt down 250 :unamused:

1 Like

Wrong stands and the Kans are too close together, but it still sounds fab

14 Likes

Nice system, those stands are very similar to the MK1 stands, I had a pair in the late eighties on which I put my AR18s speakers. Could not afford Kans back then or the amplification to drive them although my NAD 3020 might have driven them.
Thanks to all that have replied so far, this is great fun. Keep them coming.

1 Like

I first heard Kans in 1984 at the Holiday Inn Swiss Cottage HiFi show. Linn had three rooms, one with Isobariks, one with Sara’s and the third room had a pair of Kans. I thought the Kans room had the best sound, it was hard to believe the huge sound coming out of those tiny cabinets it sounded like real music, like a live performance. I never forgot that experience. The only system that I heard since then that made such an impression on me was a pair of Maggie’s driven by Krell mono blocks with a Mitchell Engineering turntable and Koetsu Red Signature cartridge playing James Newton Howard and Friends on Sheffield Lab label,now I really am showing my age.

2 Likes

Wow I bet they sounded awesome, I have never seen active Kans before. Thanks for sharing.

They were the best sound I’ve heard from Kans but there was no getting away from the signal passing through 6 shoebox amps / PSUs and the impact that had on the music. In short, passive was more engaging to my ears.

I think I’d be a bit scared of connecting up those unlabelled sockets!

2 Likes

That’s an unusually deep plinth on your turntable - a Thorens, perhaps?

And a lovely early Nait 2, before it morphed into its more familiar Olive garb?

1 Like

Hi Graham, yes it’s a Thorens TD160 with a custom plinth and the original arm. The Nait 2 isn’t ideal for driving the Kans, but in my small office, it doesn’t need to drive them very hard, and it does sound mighty fine

I would like to hear the new Classic system driving a good pair of Kan 1s. Bet that would sound bloody good.

I’m interested in the Nait2’s ability to drive real life 'speakers, as I have a pair of Kestrel-built LS3/5As on order,. and I have my fingers crossed for good results.

My first serious TT was a Thorens TD160S half a lifetime ago, with a Mission 774 tonearm and Ortofon MC20 moving coil cartridge.

1 Like

I think you’ll be fine. It’s a robust little amp, belies it’s specs in the real world.

Thanks, I certainly hope so.

Shame there are no Tukans here (if they count). I thought the Tukans were just about the best bookshelf speaker I’d heard in the 90s and active they were just wow.

1 Like

I auditioned Tukans against Katans in the early 2000s and, though the Katans (which I chose) were cleaner and more correct to my ears, I thought the Tukans had a certain something about them. They would definitely be on my shortlist if I was building a second system (and didn’t already have every speaker I’ve ever owned boxed away :wink: ).

Tukan was a fun name for a loudspeaker, although Guinness might not have been amused, as they used a toucan in their advertising (I can’t remember why).

Linn used to be so clever at naming their products - there must have been some anarchic genius involved.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.