Show us your old computer gear

To avoid further thread drift on Naim Nova, open-hearted reflections I thought I’d start something in here for your photos of old computer gear!

@Katzky2021 here’s the Piccolo I was on about

65MB :slight_smile:

https://www.computerhistory.org/storageengine/hard-disk-diameter-shrinks-to-eight-inches/

And slightly less dramatic, my old work PC, built up myself from carefully selected parts, a Pentium 2 400 IIRC, with a Zip drive to ferry up to 100 MB files back and forth!

Finally a 4.5 GB SCSI drive I had to buy for image storage to support a project I was on. The deal was if I bought the storage then I could use their digital photogrammetric workstation (c. 100k of Silicon Graphics kit). £500 quid it cost, I bought my Nait 3 at a similar time, probably could have gone pre/power if I’d waited a few months as they then digitally scanned the area I was working on, rendering months of stereo pair processing (and the hard drive!) useless X)

2 Likes

If this thread had been started a month ago I could have added many photos. But a pre-move clear-out sent a collection of old PCs, laptops and components to the recycling centre. In one of the boxes, I discovered a 200mb hard drive taken from my first home windows PC bought in 1994. I also found a complete set of DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 floppy discs needed to load the OS onto the machine.

1 Like

Just done the same with the barn. Old hi fi ish gear and computers plus two large boxes of really important cables, rs 232 and parallel printer cables etc. I did keep the two unsealed boxes of Sony 1.44 floppies and the complete installation set of Dos 6.3. You never know when they’ll come in handy.

2 Likes

The first computer I bought with my own money

Still prefer it’s texture and feel to the newer stuff.

It wouldn’t play Tomb Raider…

6 Likes

Sinclair Enterprise Programmable

2 Likes

Did you play with voice control on it?, could never get it to work reliably on our bondi blue iMac of the same vintage. It was better on our subsequent g3 powermac though. Its a shame everything has gone to a uniform flat and thin silver these days, almost as ubiquitous as beige was when the jelly form Macs were released.

1 Like

Never that advanced - couldn’t even finish the pre-installed game (which was fun)

My first tablet, around 2003, before the IPad arrival.

Orange Tabbee

3 Likes

I had a clear out the other month

6 Likes

1541 floppy drive missing?? :wink:

The underrated Sega Dreamcast game console, c. 1999

4 Likes

I quickly outgrew the 3k of RAM in the VIC-20 and moved to Sinclair’s Z80 assembler. 48k was gargantuan :joy:

3 Likes

Nice collection. I had the original '82 spectrum. I think I still have Horace goes skiing around here somewhere …

How about some 8 inch Floppy Discs? The later double sided/double density ones had room for 8 * 1024 bytes.

5 Likes

I sold all of my old computer gear and consoles before moving house, I was impressed by the interest and knowledge of the buyers.
Even more impressive for me was that it all still worked, including the atari 5 1/4" floppy disk drives. When testing it took me a while to remember that you had to load the disk operating system before you could do anything!

Ok, slightly cheating… I never owned it… by my final year undergrad project used one of these… though in the lab… it wasn’t as pristine as this.

5 Likes

I started my IT career on Digital Equipment Company DEC computers. As a junior operator my job was to change huge 67mb disk platters. How times change now with 1Tb+ ssd disks no bigger than your thumb

2 Likes

I remember exchangeable disk packs on our ICL equipment. :slightly_smiling_face:
We still had open reel tape drives too.

1 Like

3420’s?

Met my first wife at Digital when they were down at Welwyn, worked on setting up/configuring pdp 11 and then the vax mini. Later on as a contractor worked in Holborn moving from Windows (nt 3.5/4,0) based office networks to two wans (North and South, moving to Winnersh and then swiftly on through NT 5.0/Win95/98 and WinXP and 2000, alongside introducing ms mail to the UK. Fast moving and heady times.
Edit: nostalgia in full flow now. Even later I worked for Compaq on the De Havilland/Hawker Siddeley site, who had of course taken over HP who had taken over Digital. Full circle is that I grew up in WGC and lived in Hatfield when first married.

1 Like