Show us your pets

Greyhounds are so chill. Great personalities.

1 Like

She’s beautiful.

The first image is of Boris, my latest dog. He is a rescue, courtesy of the R.S.P.C.A. Brighton. He, along with his sister, Daisy, were given up for adoption as they lived in a small flat with children, in Brighton and the family couldn’t cope with 2 very lively dogs. Sadly, his sister was already reserved or I would have taken her as well. Boris is now almost 3 years old. So far, he has wrecked 2 mobile phones, 1 tablet and 2 electric toothbrushes🤯 but, he seems to have grown out of that phase, bless him🙄

The second image is that of Max. I lost him in 2016 as his heart was bad. He too was a rescue, wonderful dog and guard dog ( Boris would invite an Army into the house🤨) and his favourite word was ‘Pint?’ where he would gladly walk over the nearby fields to the local. A great dog indeed.

22 Likes

Gigio while hunting birds many years ago, now he’s 16.

21 Likes

And this is one of Saucer, our old Greyhound. ( She was nicknamed as ‘Saucy’ or Old Sauce, used as my tag here).
She was a rescue and she came with a sad story where she, and another Greyhound, was given, by her former owner, to a friend to look after once the pair retired from racing ( she was an A4 racer, whatever that meant) the other dog simply disappeared and Saucer was found, by a local dog-Walker, in Witham, Essex, tied up with her front legs bound with wire, abandoned in a field. Another dog was with her too. Anyway, her injuries were bad and the local vet, who took charge of both dogs, wanted to put Saucer to sleep ( one of her front teeth had been broken when she was trying to bite through the wire) but fortunately, the news of these 2 dogs made it’s way into the local newspaper and an appeal to raise cash to treat their injuries was raised. As Saucer had her ear tattoos present, the vet managed to trace her original owner who in turn, as I knew him, asked me to take her on as he couldn’t trust anyone else to look after her. ( The other dog was successfully rehomed)

She too died of cancer in 2016, but a great, unassuming dog who asked for little but gave much in return. She was my 2nd rescue Greyhound. They really are superb dogs and if you are ever thinking of rescuing a dog, then these wont disappoint. Very lazy, one brief walk a day and all is well with them.

20 Likes

I think that this thread answers the question posed by another: Is there something wrong with people today?.
Within this post are examples of the hideous cruelty that the worst of humanity can impose on other species. But also, so many heart-warming examples of how good people counterbalance this with extraordinary generosity and care. I suspect it was always thus.

11 Likes

Yes, that was my thread. This thread has been heartwarming and shows there are still good people about. :smiley:

5 Likes

Meet Zeppy:

She’s yet another rescue greyhound. This time from the MSPCA here on the Isle of Man.
Zeppy’s previous owner was a farmer who used her as a “lamping” dog, where they go out at night with lamps to hunt for rabbits. At the end of the hunt one rabbit was thrown to the pack of greyhounds and they basically had to fight for the rabbit if they were going to be fed. The farmer would also shoot his greyhounds if they weren’t good enough hunting dogs. The MSPCA got wind of this and persuaded the farmer to give any unwanted greyhounds to them instead.

So that is how we got Zeppy. Anyway, Zeppy is an old girl now and has been brilliant company for the seven years that she has been part of of our family.

18 Likes

Sid and Nancy (sadly, Nancy died last year - she was the long hair cat with black, white and orange fur on the left)

Alfie and Kat but we all call her Weasel - she’s on the right Tiger. An old lady.
Ruby, our latest addition and still a kitten, loves to fight bigger, stronger cats! She’s on the higher level.

Ruby, undergoing some puppy training!

16 Likes

Your Nancy looks rather like our Fudge - she adopted us about ten years ago but sadly passed away a couple of years ago. Something of a fat cat but quite a decent mouser

2 Likes

Nancy looked quite substantial but it was all fur. If you picked her up you’d think she was hollow. Unfortunately, she was anaemic and that was what took her away from us. A lovely cat with a beautiful temperament.

2 Likes

My two lovely Cockapoos. Bailey and Lola, total fruit cakes!

23 Likes

They look hard to love :joy::joy::joy:. My wife would steal both of them.

Thanks Pete, they are real characters. They are normally scruffy but had just come back from having a wash and brush up!

2 Likes

Any birds as pets ?

ask @Haim. He has a lot.

This is Luke. I got him from a rescue centre eleven years ago. He’d been abused and to this day is a bit timid, and afraid of other (male) dogs.
But I love him to bits.
Unfortunately my work these days involves a lot of travel, so every time I say goodbye, I fear it might be the last. He’s fifteen now, which is really old for a Belgian Shepherd. I like to think the last eleven years were a lot more fun for him than the first four.
He still really enjoys swimming in the river, which is both unaffected by, and good for, his arthritis.

28 Likes

Yikes - two of them. My brother has one and I don’t think I could live with it. Essentially demanding and mental! Makes the Dalmatian we had when growing up appear completely tame and sane!

Ha, ha, yes Tim, they are mental! Luckily I waited until retirement before we got them. They get a minimum of an hour off lead mayhem every day which seems to work well. The garden is long enough for full speed antics so they actually sleep quite a lot!

1 Like

I think I am a bit put off cos I haven’t seen much of him so when I visit I am the most interesting thing in the world and he won’t let me alone!

1 Like