Show us your pets

Very sad indeed, she’d gone from a very timid/anxious cat to trusting us and the evening before had jumped up onto the garden table for some tickles.

I could see no obvious injury to suggest a car, but do wonder if she may have tried to jump a wall and landed badly or maybe had a stroke. I guess we’ll never know but as you say I’d hope during her last days we’d shown some affection.

4 Likes

Just an observation from the photo; but she looks possibly elderly, and narrow at the hips which may suggest muscle wastage, a sign of ongoing decline of kidney function typical with older cats.

Symptoms of end stage kidney failure in cats include dull sunken eyes, inability to walk, body odour, incontinence in bladder or bowels, refusal to eat or drink, seizures, confusion, pacing and restlessness, withdrawing, hiding and running away.

1 Like

Yes, certainly appeared to be an older cat to me with lots of white hairs.

I think it’s maybe one reason I was a bit reticent initially to get too attached but I did anyway - so therapeutic several years after our last cat died having an animal to stroke which gave me some calmness I’d lost.

I’d not have been surprised if the cat had some metabolic issues, but the sudden significant change from the evening before I think can only be explained by an injury/stroke, poisoning or acute metabolic issue, and blood tests showed no obvious cause.

3 Likes

You know what you need to do🙂

2 Likes

Well, some good news!

The veterinary hospital just rang to update me and said the cat made a full recovery and has been reunited with her owners. They think she may have had concussion from a head injury but I guess we’ll never know for sure.

22 Likes

Great news! Do you know if the owners are local? When my last cat (Barney) was on his last legs he went round to the neighbours and was whining at the door. He was a bag of bones as he could no longer eat and was bleeding from his nose due to the tumor. The neighbours were about to call the RSPCA before they thought to check if it was our cat!

2 Likes

I think you have just identified what you would like to do

Mrs Houdini is a rescue cat , she came with an awful lot of emotional baggage , and was so scared of me it wasn’t true.

These days I get so much warmth , affection and snuggles from her…

23 Likes

Excellent news, I love a happy ending.

3 Likes

And the care you gave her may well have enabled her to recover from whatever the trauma was. That’s excellent.

2 Likes

The adventures of dusty Disa

This looks very interesting, wonder what’s up this tunnel?

It goes a long way!

A dust extractor pipe?
No not me.
What makes you think i’ve been up one of those?

23 Likes

Don’t ask me why but in the other thread I initially wondered why you had a large diameter fancy orange flue liner !

1 Like

The dust extractor is a bit noisy but does a good job. The cats didn’t go near it when in use with all the noise. All three cats took turns going inside and walking all the way up and back down, i don’t know why it fascinated them, it’s filthy inside!

16 Likes

It’s far better than I’d hoped for. It’s the veterinary hospital’s willingness to care for her that ultimately saved her though. I’d like to think we looked after her for a while when she was supposedly lost and perhaps couldn’t find her way home.

2 Likes

Well they were apparently in a neighbouring district when I enquired but naturally after reading the chip data the practice would have been unable to tell me much more. The vets told me today that they’d now updated contact details so possible the records were out of date.

I’d been a bit sceptical of chipping in the past but it’s worked out in this instance and must be helpful if a dead animal is traced as at least owners then know what’s happened.

1 Like

The Pip doing what a Pip does best.

31 Likes

Pip, meet Pip. Also very lazy.

28 Likes

Archie wanted to be included in the snoozing cat gallery too!

28 Likes

Pip’s brother, Harvey, is even worse!

27 Likes

The Bear would join in, only he can’t summon up the energy just now…

22 Likes

Well, since we’re doing sleeping cats…

Willy.

25 Likes