Show us your Sondek

You’ve never tried the old 45 adaptor @graham55?
images

2 Likes

I’ve seen many photographs, but never held one. Will speak to my dealer and get one on order (plus the necessary new belt).

Thing is, I don’t have any 45RPM discs, as I’d had the LP12 for so long that it’s just never occurred to me to buy singles. I’ll get something sorted.

You’ll then be able to play the 45rpm Analogue Productions’ Doors albums …worth the (slight) hassle of fitting the adaptor & belt for on their own!

2 Likes

You’re a bad lad, Stevie. I have just bought new Elektra LP copies of the six studio albums and Absolutely Live, plus the Rhino LP set of Live At The Felt Forum (I think four LPs in that). There may be a couple more too that I’ve forgotten.

And I’m not sure that I could cope with LPs spinning at 45RPM. It just ain’t right, don’t ye know!

1 Like

Record clamps or weights were never meant for suspended sub chassis
decks.

Not sure if your comment is meant in jest or merely refers to the LP12 but try telling that to SME and Michell - both of whom know a thing or two about transcriptor engineering…

I replied to you last week on this topic, but you seemed to miss it. You were mentioning the 45rpm adaptor.

You’ll need to have the Keel or Kore drilled to accommodate the lifter if that’s what you wish to do. Clearly, that would require fairly major surgery. But at least with an Aro you’ll be able to remove the arm.

Clive, thank you. Sorry to have missed your earlier post.

I don’t like all the talk about drilling the Keel, so I may drop the idea.

That’s what puts me off the idea too. As I said in my other post - I daren’t risk cueing 7” or 10” records by hand, so I don’t play them anymore.

Hi @JonathanG - to be fair to @Skeptikal, I have heard lot of clamps on LP12s and before the HRS version and all of them were to my ear dreadful.

TTs actually designed for them like the elegant SME20, the Orbe or the big Avids certainly don’t suffer in the same way.

The benefit to my LP12 of the HRS device actually designed for suspended decks (unlike most third-party devices) were to our ears limited to higher volumes, might be obviated if my speakers were not pointing rather toward the turntable, and were small. I wouldn’t say any of that about the Michell clamp, for example.

4 Likes

Receipt from my February 1988 purchase at Stereo Stereo in St. Vincent Street, Glasgow. This system started changing later that year, but the much-updated LP12 is still at the heart of it. Funny how a £498 TT can have cost so much more over the ensuing years.

9 Likes

Yes, but look at it another way round.

You bought the LP12 in 1988 (if my eyesight is correct) and you still have it over 30 years later. Granted, you have probably spent a helluva lot on it in the interim, but the old deck is still plugging away.

Many good things are born in Glesca! Including me, a very long time ago now.

3 Likes

Triggers broom?

3 Likes

Lucky you! We still have a yellow warning of thunderstorms until tomorrow at 2:00a.m. Then we’ve got an electrician coming tomorrow to install fans and lights in a couple of bathrooms, so won’t be powering on until tomorrow evening at the earliest.

BTW if you’re prepared to show pictures of your stereo, why is your public profile hidden? You don’t have to disclose your inside leg measurement.

Powered off the early hours of this morning as lightnin strike n thunder crash inna babylon :grin: was expecting more but didnt happen, will have to switch it off again if it does, only so long one can sit without…

I had to look that up, but yes, exactly.

1 Like

The Ship Of Theseus?

3 Likes

The same but not? I wish I was that clever but I was thinking more of Only Fools and Horses.

I’m pretty sure the Only Fools And Horses Trigger gag was inspired by the philosophy of the ship of Theseus

2 Likes

The exact same gag was used in Open All Hours, in which David Jason played second fiddle to the inimitable Ronnie Barker before starring in Only Fools and Horses, so I’m pretty sure the joke was lifted directly from there.