Show us your Sondek

How are you today?

Best wishes

Ian

I did not think it did. What it appears you can do - so I am told - is to configure a deck from Linn’s parts list.

So recycling my Ikea coffee table is out of contention then. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, I understand that. What Linn do not make clear - on their (Jan’22) Price List - is what exactly is included. Line 3 - Akurate - Lingo - Separate Power Supply for AC Motor. Is the Motor included…?? Not stated.

I don’t think Linn’s list is particularly clear, but… YMMV… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Wouldn’t the motor type vary depending on what power supply you choose, hence the motor would be supplied as part of the power supply package ?

2 Likes

“I don’t think Linn’s list is particularly clear…”

No, it isn’t and neither is the website,(particularly), though in the “build your own” section, it does say “Every Sondek LP12 comes with a Karousel bearing as standard”.
Scrolling down through the options to add to one’s custom-build is everything apart from the Karousel, ergo I think if one was to order a plinth it would come with Karousel and that’s it by the looks of things. The baseboard, PSU, arm, cart, Phono Stage and Sub are all separately ordered items.

2 Likes

Karousel is the only deck bearing Linn make now. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yes, there are 2 motors, I believe - the original AC type and a much newer DC one.

I assume that the relevant motor (AC or DC) comes with the Power Supply option that you chose, as you say. That’s logikal, but Linn’s list doesn’t actually say.

Its clearer in the Klimax column - Radikal (Standard) - DC motor & power supply - standard enclosure.

I infer that the Deck Only doesn’t include a Motor - but again, Linn don’t say.

As I said… Linn’s list… is a bit… :crazy_face:

Just my view - YMMV - Interwebzzz… !!!

(It was much easier years ago - the only option was the wood for the Plinth - Afromosia, Walnut - or painted Black.)

Indeed. One of the reasons your dealer is so valuable in going through all the options. The Linn website, as you point out, is not quite clear on all aspects, but then you’re not buying directly from Linn.

At least Linn make the digital side easy :grinning:

Probably time for someone to post a picture of their LP12…

2 Likes

I see what you mean. I only know because that what Peter ordered for the base of mine. I think it’s because the items are required for any LP12 build (from new) and then parts are selected as required. The only exception is the Majik which is cheaper than the sum of its parts.

1 Like

That’s something that’s passed me by until now, that you can have either an AC or a DC motor onboard the LP12- why would there be a choice, as surely we all have AC voltage in the UK?

And does the motor stay inside the deck when an external power supply (eg the Armageddon, which I have) is incorporated?

I have only looked at the Jan’22 Linn Price List.

Not the website. Others did that… :astonished:

1 Like

You were? Good to hear, pal. There are a few of us here.

Or those unwanted pallets lying in the garage :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, my parents were both Scottish, and my father was doing his National Service (as a doctor) in the Royal Air Force. They were in Egypt, and my mother was flown back to Glasgow at eight and a half months pregnant, so that I could be born in the UK (and would therefore have automatic British nationality). I was in Glasgow for the first week or so of my life, and then I grew up all over the place.

I’m proudly Scottish (but not a Nat), although (for reasons just explained) I don’t have the accent. Indeed, I’m told that the accent is a phenomenon called ‘RAF brat’!

3 Likes

Quite right! Any one will do. I just need a fix! Years ago I read a brilliant drive story in Car in which Mel Nichols (Australian) and Roger Cook (Kiwi I think) took a Sondek up to the factory in an Esprit Turbo, using proper driving roads. I don’t know how well the Sondek failed but it was taken to have a new tone-arm fitted and Ivor Tiefenbrun and some Macallan also starred in this tale. I didn’t know what a Sondek was but someone showed me and I’ve wanted one ever since!

1 Like

Another RAF brat here. The old man was a career officer. He was a Hackney boy who enlisted during the war, and was moved through the ranks quickly, as happened in those days. Ma was a Maryhill gal; I was born in Maryhill. When in Glasgow, I lived mostly around the west end and the south side.

I was born in a maternity hospital called Rottenrow, which I think has been subsumed into the Royal Infirmary or some other place.

Anyway, we’ve drifted far off topic of those lovely TTs, so we had better let others get back on, otherwise Mr Dane will be after us. Fun though!

1 Like

The Lingo series of PSUs use an AC motor, 12V for the Lingo 4 and 24V for the other versions.
The Radikal range uses DC motors.

Only very old LP12 decks are powered by the mains electric supply directly IIRC.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s all a bit technical for my simple lawyer’s brain. But thanks for your trouble.

2 Likes