Show us your Sondek

Probably doesn’t might just be cosmetic but too tight usually dulls the sound.
Some don’t get their head round the idea that the top plate tunes the instrument as it were.
Think of it like the steel frame of a piano.
It’s a skill that an experienced fettler knows too tight or not tight enough it’s the edge of any rattle.
Buzz of a guitar fret. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

On closer inspection it does appear that the bolt pushes the corner almost to the top inner edge of the plinth, when the rest of the top plate is just a nats lower all round to the inner edge .

Interesting. It does sound like you have a possible ground loop given the buzz is less when the TT is on the radial with the rest of the kit. Have you tried just the Superline connected to the 52. No other sources connected ?

1 Like

Yes to all that. Disconnecting NDX2 and CDS2 seems to have no effect, and the sound itself makes me think ‘earth problem’.

On the other hand, moving the Superline by a tiny amount made things suddenly worse, while putting my hand on top of the Superline (toward the back right corner) reduces the hum.

1 Like

Ok, doesn’t sound like a ground loop then as you’ve eliminated this by disconnecting the other sources connected to the 52. Just one more thing, I’m assuming all Naim interconnects (apart from your TQ speaker cables) ?

The Next-Gen RCA sockets can be a problem with some RCA plugs. I found that regular RCAs can sound poor, and also be very noisy, as can locking ones that aren’t done up tight enough. You need to really tighten them down as much as possible to get the best contact - it makes a sizeable difference to performance. Ideally of course you could just use the Next-Gen plugs but again, be careful how you orientate them otherwise you can get hum or no sound.

No. I changed to WH Morganas - whether because of shielding or otherwise, the SQ was better than my (unshielded) Naim standards or Hi Lines. Phono was the source that benefitted most.

1 Like

Ah ok. You might want to try putting the standard Naim cables back in temporarily, just to check.

I tried - if anything, marginally worse.

However, what I did not try was standard Naim cables AND unplugging all other sources. Hmmmm.

1 Like

Give it a go…

I just remember @marksnaim having issues with hum with the Morgana cables which went when using the standard Naim cables.

2 Likes

I will, though that is a job for tomorrow. Listening to other sources works fine, and is very calming after a few rounds of this.

Given how loud the hum was and how little of it is left after moving boxes and untangling cables, and given how ultra-sensitive my Superline now is (to being touched?!), and that the whole thing was silent before the swap to Stiletto/ Radikal (and all the plugging and unplugging), the Morganas are not the most obvious source. However, it does no harm to try exploring the standard/ WH cable issue while unplugging other sources and sticking to the above-pictured & quietest box order.

2 Likes

It’s certainly worth a try. I think the most valuable thing will be your dealer visiting. A lot easier to diagnose issues hands on, than remotely.

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Hoping you have light at the end of the tunnel ?

Best wishes

Ian

I live in hope, as always, thank you, Ian.

But still like a rat in a trap.

I have been listening to some great music on the iPhone. I listened to some of ‘Frampton Comes Alive’ this afternoon, which created a sensation when I was at University a long time ago, and I’ve been indulging in a few other guilty aural pleasures (No Doubt, Lady Gaga and some which I won’t own up to on this public place).

After discussion here of Van Morrison a few days ago, I’ve been listening to as many versions of ‘Gloria’ as I can find. No one will ever beat Jim Morrison’s smutty delivery and added dirty verses (greatly assisted by Ray Manzarek’s aural promptings). That said, Jimi Hendrix’s version is pretty filthy too, and The Experience’s playing is effortlessly brilliant.

2 Likes

Cheers Paul6, a few little tweak’s done this week, really pleased how it has turned out so far, loving getting back into vinyl.

1 Like

Record player with fluted walnut plinth, Cirkus, Valhalla, Ittok LVII and AT-OC9 ML/II cartridge.

32 Likes

Nice photo :+1:

2 Likes

Might be a long shot and apologies if you have already done this.

My Superline sort of went off a cliff as it was 10 years old and became super sensitive to anything, even turning the rooms light switch on and off made a small click and before this was OK. After a service the Superline was back to normal and seemed less sensitive.

Tim

A classic combo. Lovely :ok_hand:

1 Like

The Superline went to Naim in early 2020, but that doesn’t prove that it has not grown a fault recently. It’s something to explore when Infidelity visit tomorrow.

2 Likes