Show us your Sondek

Hi Graham,

I have both the Falcon speaker stands and Solid Steel SS6. I prefer the Solid Steel with my Falcon ls3/5a gold badge.

1 Like

I didn’t actually know that Falcon made speaker stands, as I hadn’t read the Instruction Manual properly. But I couldn’t be happier with the Solid Steel stands.

1 Like

I have owned the same LP12 since 1984 although it has been upgraded multiple times. I think it is now slightly above the Selekt level. Every upgrade brought an improvement but I also agree that there has been a gradual change in the overall presentation over the years.

3 Likes

I have no idea where my Linn is on the ratings - all I know is its been with me so long, I couldn’t imagine replacing it for another turntable…it’s just…my (almost) lifelong companion.

10 Likes

Recent changes to LP12 include the Karousel bearing, Ekos 2 tonearm, Dynavector XX2 mk2 cartridge, Trampolin 2, T Kable and Tom Evans The Groove + SRX phonostage.

Still using the Lingo 1 sounds pretty awesome now!

28 Likes

Very nice Dan

If you don’t mind me asking what is the serial number of your Ekos2 ? I believe for the last models they changed the arm lift mechanism but not sure

1 Like

Thanks Mtuttleb. It was originally an Ekos 1 but was upgraded to an Ekos 2. I believe that the bearings were upgraded.

Not sure about the arm lift, but mk1 - 2 bearing change was around serial number 6000. Below this number mk1. I remember this because I had 6008 and it looked like a mk1 (red dot) but was in fact a mk2.

1 Like

My sentiments exactly, expressed on this forum several times before.

In all it’s configurations, it just seems to sound right & I don’t recall anyone ever saying that they felt their LP12 was the weak link in their system.

4 Likes

Mine was upgraded in 2001 from a mark 1.

My Ekos (SE) has the black straight armlift which I think is the change you refer to?

I do like the look of the old type lift though - it’s charmingly garagey…

4 Likes

The old style arm rest on my mk.1 Ekos was replaced for the modern straight one in 2019 when it began sticking & not lowering occasionally.

It was returned to Linn for rewiring after internal wear on the original wiring cause a short meaning that the TT was playing in mono for five months before me or my dealer noticed! So much for Audiophiles!

Linn also replaced the bearings ‘as a precaution’. I’ve no idea if this bought my arm up to MK2 spec.

Have to end on a controversial note. I think the black Ekos looks better than the silver of the current arm & am surprised that Linn do not offer a choice on such an expensive item.

Also think that the smoked lid is far superior looking to the clear one! I have never seen/heard an explanation from Linn as to why the change was made. Seriously, I can only think it was done to show off the increasingly expensive arms & cartridges that were becoming increasingly common from the mid 1980s.

3 Likes

When I had the bearings replaced on my Ekos 1 I asked that very question of Darren at Class A who was my intermediary with Linn. He said he thought not.

On looks I’m always disappointed that Linn cartridges aren’t coloured. Krystal red, Kandid Blue etc would be great. Can’t beat a bit of chic on the headshell.

Yes that was a late change I believe

While acknowledging your preference for black arms, mine is for the silver colour and was glad to see the back of my Basik Plus arm which was black.

The arm tube is made of raw titanium and I guess painting it black would degrade it somehow. (Rolling Stones jokes and technical wisdom on painting arms welcome).

2 Likes

Later change is they are now silver. :+1:t2:
No additional painting of arm parts to affect consistency of SQ :thinking:
Probably extra work and cost too. :wink:

1 Like

I’m very happy with the new arm. Audio Origami did a great job on my previous arm which was an old Akito. Time for a change after 5 years. With the new cart it sounds more open and altogether better on all levels. Listening to the LP12 alot which is the main thing and I’m loving it!

5 Likes

I much prefer the modern clear lids. I like to be able to see the two AROs that I have with a Troika in one and a Te Kaitora Rua in the other!

I have arranged for Cymbiosis to collect (FOC) the old smoked lid, so that they can put together an old-style looking LP12 for anyone who wants this.

1 Like

Oh Graham.

And I had you marked as a man of taste, not a show off!!

I will consider my knuckles truly rapped!

(Although I’m not entirely sure what constituted “showing off”. Owning two AROs perhaps? I believe that only around 1,600 of the original AROs were ever made.)

9 Likes