Show us your turntable

The ultimate integrated system?

1 Like

Shame they didn’t have a Borg figure as the armrest…

My new tonearm (Vertere SG PTA HB) arrived at the dealers today. I’m having it fitted next Wednesday - very exciting.

5 Likes

You have great taste in tonearms!

Best regards, BF

3 Likes

Am I being greedy?

18 Likes

No mate, you’re small fish. There’s this broke called Peter who seems to have some sort of obsession with them decks. He’s got hundreds of them. I even heard he made a hobby of it going around the world fixing or setting up other folks decks. A bit of a nutter if you ask me but each to their own!:sunglasses:

12 Likes

Yes. :grin:
I think you should donate one to a charitable cause.
I’ll send you the address.

3 Likes

:sunglasses:

That must be one of the ugliest means of playing a record that has ever been made.

What do all the other bits do? Is it an amplifier as well?

1 Like

It’s an all-in-one system I guess, speakers somewhere in there too.

Now if only they’d made an Enterprise TT…

1 Like

My record decks (rather lower down the food chain than some here!):

Bang & Olufsen 8002 with MMC2 Cartridge. MMC = Moving Micro-Cross for those unfamiliar with B&O cartridges. This one is connected to my Marantz 2275 receiver. The deck was professionally refurbished (= virtually rebuilt) after I got it and sounds excellent. I think these decks are greatly underrated in some quarters.

B&O 4002 with MMC4000. Again professionally refurbished. Connected to Superuniti via Project Phono Box, but soon (all being well) will have the joys of chatting to a Supernait 3.

Rega Planar 3 with RB300 arm and Ortofon MC10 Supreme (cartridge on loan from a mate). Currently not in use, but does sound very nice (I use the MC input of the Project for this, but it is a high output moving coil and it will be interesting to see how it gets on with the MM input of the Supernait. Nothing ventured…).

22 Likes

The B&O decks are cool, I have a Technics QL1 in my other AV system.
A friend of ours who lives round the corner has a B&O deck,I think it’s one or other of the one’s you have.
He loves it, and has a Naim pre and power , not sure which one but it has a phono stage built in.

I love the looks of the B&O 4002. Yours looks fab!

I still have one but it’s in need of some repair and now lives in the barn…

Cheers Richard :smiley:

The 4002 is more classically elegant than the 8002, but I would venture that the latter is the better sounding deck. Granted that could be as much to do with the cartridge than anything else, and the cartridge in the 8002 was higher up the pecking order than the one in the 4002 back in the day.

I bought both decks on eBay from the same seller (a hi-fi shop). First the 8002, which I paid around £600 for, if memory serves. Supposedly serviced and fully working. I don’t know who did the service, but it ended up needing quite a bit of work.

The vendor then listed the 4002, which stylistically was the one I preferred. Again, this one had supposedly been serviced. And he dropped the price because of the situation with the 8002. So muggins bought the 4002 and again it needed work.

I guess I paid around an additional £300 on each deck to get them to tip-top condition. But at least I now have two excellent decks and the total outlay on each was less than what they can go for by some margin.

1 Like

Hi Christov,

Yes, I’ve always liked B&O and many moons ago I had a Beomaster 4000 receiver and a Beocord 2200 cassette deck.

I had a Technics direct drive turntable for a while, but forget the model number. with an SME 3009 Series II arm. Think the cartridge was an Ortofon.

1 Like

All set for a bit o’ mixin’ n scratchin’ wiv yer pair o’ LP12 mate. Sorted innit. :metal:

5 Likes

Yes, but I volunteer to accept one as a gift to assuage any pangs of guilt you might have.

1 Like

Here is my Michell Gyrodec. It’s an old girl now having bought it not long after they were first introduced, so some 35 plus years old. I have changed a few things like a DC motor upgrade, later tower springs, better arm isolation and VTA for the arm etc. However, as I am really fond of its original looks I have resisted the temptation to replace the original aluminium platter for the later acrylic version that would also require a bearing change.

It would start to become like “triggers broom” if I did this and as my unit is only a few away from the prototype and unusually for the time a black plinth just like the prototype and has many components made by Jon Michell himself it seems a shame to make it look like a new one… My original (not used now) arm board for a Mission 774 has his initials on it for instance.

I worked Saturdays in a HiFi shop and bought the shops demo Gyrodec when they wanted to replace it with the more common transparent plinth version.

It still sounds great and I prefer it over the CD5 though that is very good too

46 Likes

Great story, thank you.

I did have an SL-150 with an SME arm briefly. Can’t quite remember the cartridge. Great decks!

16 Likes