Show us your turntable

Hi Porpyr,

I decided for the Reed tonearms, after trying a few other arms. I was interested in The Ikeda it 407 tonearm, to be honest partially because I really like the look of the arm. I was also interested in the Thales Simple because of the smart headshell design. And I was interested in the Kuzma 4 point.

I also like the look of a turntable, and I am not very impressed by the looks of the Kuzma, although it is an excellent and very stable arm. To me the arm looks like I would go fishing with it. But A lot of people really like the black no nonsense look of the Kuzma. The Ikeda did not get the max out of the cartridges I was aiming for. And the cartridge I like with the Ikeda, sounded a little close to the cartridge and arm on my Thorens. The Thales played wonderful and I could be very happy with it. It was very comparable with the 9 inch arm of Reed. But the 12 inch 3p of Reed did the best job with the mysoniclab Cartridge, and gave the sound I like with good Jazz. So I decided for the Thales with the zyxx and the Reed with Mysoniclab. But when the 9 inch Reed was still on, and the 3p Reed was mounted on, the two Reed arms just seemed to be ment on together.

So my choice for the Zyxx cartidge would have been THE choice. But I am very happy with my decicion

1 Like

Thanks! By the way, what A great system you have yourself. I really like your phone preamp👌

1 Like

How good is the Avid Pulsare phono? Vs Superline / Supercap or other you could have tried ?

Well, that is difficult to say, because
I am a lifelong loyal Naim user. And because I do not like to mix brands, I have had the Naim phono pre amp for a long demo, before I choose a different brand. But the demo eventually was not so long. The AVID sounded much more natural, and I do not know how to describe an emotional evolvement. But it is so much subjective. The Avid sounded more towards the sound of the more expensive RCA Theriaa, very clear and natural.
So my opinion, is the Naim is not better of worse, but it is just what takes the emotional feeling of an individual and therefore subjective.

3 Likes

Going against the grain, I prefer the Technics to my LP12

Put an SME 309 on the Technics, what’s the furthest one would go with a cartridge on this combo?

19 Likes

There’s a lot in the loading of the superline, and not just the resistance loading, though that should be sorted out first. If you want to get the emotion to come through a little capacitance can make all the difference but the arm cable comes into play there too.
Aro with 17D3 and 470Ω benefitted from a 470pF plug, with a Cardas cabled Schröder it was 1nF.
Similarly a Transfiguration Proteus loaded with 100Ω didn’t benefit from extra capacitance on the Aro but 470pF on the Schröder.
The SPU Royal N on the Schröder wants 220Ω and no extra capacitance on the Schröder and when very carefully adjusted is my favourite of the lot. I’ve not tried it on the Aro yet but I now have a spare 8g brass plate and a Tigerpaw sKale so that might happen one day once I modify the sKale to add a fine VTF adjuster, it’s too hit and miss as supplied.

Technics decks do look good, and no mistake,.

3 Likes

21 Likes

Delivered on CNY eve

30 Likes

Phwoar
! That really does remind me of the lovely Melcos of old, but brought nicely up to date.

1 Like

That is some serious Japanese engineering
Very cool :+1:

1 Like

No exactly obvious, but this Gyro SE has the four " mods" from Solidair.
The pylons were first, then magnetic feet things, trinity under arm plate and finally the weight thing.
Least change were the magnetic feet.
Best upgrades were pylons and trinity. Clamp was off ebay at half normal price.
I’d definitely recommend the pylons first. Then trinity.
Pylons and trinity gave more detail, and surface noise. But a good scrub of the vinyl sorted the surface noise, just leaving me more detail. Which did surprise me.
The magnetic feet design is flawed IMO. There is a small amount of stiction with them due to side load on the pins that hold them together.

15 Likes

RB3000 arm ? Bought recently if I remember well.

Yes. The ndx2/xpsdr not been used much in the past 3 months now.
The RB3000 feels great, looks great and best of all sounds great. I’d never have thought it would make that much difference, but it does. I was wrong.

2 Likes

It matches very well your deck too . Good news :+1:

1 Like

I’ll second the use of the Solid Air pylons.
Here on my Orb, with double plinth and rectangle ISO-Base.

I also have the Pedersens Gyro Armboard upgrade for my SME V, oh 15-years ago, which was a significant improvement.

6 Likes

Ive managed to go all our of the Solidair bits on the gyro se. Not convinced the magnetic feet did much, but the deck is already well isolated. The weight thing that hilds the vinyl down is good too. Bought 2nd hand, so better vfm. And less of a faff that using the orbe clamp.

We bought our LP12s around the same time. I remember the UKP 340 but I don’t remember the exact date - it was definitely Autumn 1981. I bought the newly released Basik arm and cartridge with it - I probably still have that arm in some drawer around the house.

Mine was bought in November’81. So, yes.

I could have bought the new Linn LVV Basik arm, but chose to go with a used Rega R200 - which was less money
 :crazy_face: My DV10X was fitted to it, straight off my Rega Planar 2.

The Rega Planar 2 was sold on, to the brother of a work colleague.

In April’82, the Rega R200 arm on my LP12 was replaced by a new Linn Ittok LVII - cost £253
!! I was told last week that my Ittok is now worth around £700
!!!

I didn’t have any arm/cartridge to go on the Linn. Previous deck was a lousy Pioneer. If I recall right, it was 46 pounds for the Basik combo?

I got my Ittok in May (I found the bill!) then my first Koetsu in November