Show us your turntable

I had an Orbe Some years ago and it’s a great turntable but the Avid Acutus is a huge step up from the Orbe. The Dark was a special edition of the Acutus that Avid do in a limited run, all sold out now.

I got it secondhand it didn’t come with it. I was hoping it had the old one as well, wanted to compare.

The Mission arm might be my favorite arm.

Mission 774 was the first arm on my LP12. :+1:t2:

8 Likes

Hey @JosquinDesPrez !
Enjoy! It’s quite a relevation, isn’t it?
We are very fortunate to be able to hear these outstanding carts within our systems!

9 Likes

It is certainly a very special cartridge. It has opened my ears to things in my record collection I never heard before.

3 Likes

I don’t know, I just downloaded it. My guess is yes, I have e a belief firms like Thorens, Rega, Naim would not release products unless they thought they were a competitive offering.

It is a nice looker isn’t it.

It appears to have an unusually deep plinth - there may be lots of exciting things going on in there.

I’ve seen that SME started to offer tonearms without the turntables. Regards

1 Like

That’s good. And sensible on their part (in my opinion.) Not that I shall ever move away from my ARO.

1 Like

Just when I thought streaming and digital replay had reached a parallel with analogue reproduction, I heard this…

Unfortunately it’s not mine but a good friends. He’s using the top Rega power supply and phono stage. The rest of the system consisting of a lowly S1 pre, two 555 PS’s on his ND555, running through a 500DR and Ovator 800’s.

It’s very rare and descriptions of how it sounds are almost useless. It just takes everything to another level. Sublimely relaxed and secure, even a silly volume levels, with bass notes that seem to go on down forever. Vocal inflections and venue acoustics are just plain disturbing. Having heard Linn’s top spec LP12 at the Bristol show this pushes the boundaries of vinyl replay even further. With out doubt one of those experiences that gets locked into your audio memory to become a new reference point.

It’s now on my ‘first things to buy’ when I win the lottery list!

Very special and bloody amazing!

21 Likes

Can that be right? A Rega TT outgunning a top spec Linn?

If so, things have certainly moved on in the TT race to arms.

1 Like

Fantastic :sunglasses:

Does the carbon wall bracket come with the deck?

Looks stunning

…ah yes:

Custom made carbon fibre cantilever designed wall bracket to provide the ultimate support

It does. This is Rega’s ‘cost no object’ attempt at pushing everything on the turntable to the limit. The tolerance on the ceramic platter to spindle has to be seen to be believed. In fact the turntable is so stable you can’t see when it’s rotating.

1 Like

I assume, indeed hope, that you see the record turning!

I have one in a second system if you swap the Rega cart for an Audio Technica VM95E you will be very, very happy the best £40 you will spend on hifi.

It’s a straight swap.

2 Likes

Finally got round to trying out this DD Luxman

22 Likes

Luxman always made classy looking turntables, and that one is no exception. Does that have the model designation of something like 131 or 171?

And is that an old Mission 774 tonearm? I had one over 30 years ago, before my Black Ittok and my current ARO.

1 Like

Pro-ject 2Xperience SB DC with Ortofon 2M Bronze, plugging into my XS3 phono stage. The 2M Bronze is a fantastic match for the phono stage.

3 Likes