Show us your turntable

Lovely!

But you got better before any permanent (aesthetic) harm was done?

2 Likes

I came close to getting the green one. But they are all plastic instead of the more sturdy stuff of the other 1200s on offer.

In the right room, those coloured decks make quite the design statement. I’m glad I went with the classic GR.

5 Likes

Deleted, please remove.

It’s great! But I I did swap out my much loved Systemdek/Tabriz/1042 TT for the Technics & DV - so a lot changed at the same time.

I did all the TT demonstrations leading to the purchase of the Technics with the same DV 10x5 - and the different decks certainly made their individual contributions to the overall sound known. All demos in the dealer room with my own amp, phono stage, cables and speakers.

They’re doesn’t seem to be any particular area it shouts about, I think it’s a really good all round cartridge.

Why do you ask? Are you thinking about a change of cartridge?

1 Like

Managed to squeeze a Prefix into the Voyd last night… works a treat!

16 Likes

I don’t recognise the TT or the tonearm, and I can’t make out the cartridge.

Care to share any info?

Not wishing to reply for JXZ311, but the tonearm is a Roksan Tabriz, and the deck looks to be a Voyd reference.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. It’s a handsome combo, and I do like the acrylic platter - topped off well by the red vinyl of the LP in play.

1 Like

Cartridge is a Lyra Argo

2 Likes

My goodness, there are some very knowledgeable people on this Forum!

1 Like

The Voyd reference uses three motors to drive the platter. From a quick Google. Furthermore, the designer Guy Adams was taken on by AudioNote/Peter Qvortrup for a while… and now AN offer a three motor top end TT, the TT Three/reference. There’s an fun article on Stereophile about it that probably comes up if you search

1 Like

It’s a lovely deck! That plinth looks very nice. I had nearly 30 years use out of my Tabriz, nice to see one on such an illustrious turntable*

*I’m not suggesting the Tabriz doesn’t belong on it either, sorry!!

1 Like

My mono cartridge arrived today (Lyra Atlas Lambda Mono), so now I have that mounted for spinning my mono collection.

29 Likes

Lyra cartridges sound amazing!

Nice setup, enjoy the tunes :notes::guitar::drum::trumpet::saxophone:

2 Likes

I am rather surprised that mono cartridges are still made, as there are so few new mono LPs up for sale these days.

I have actively bought a few, with their stereo equivalents, to try to compare the two - The Doors’ self-titled first album (Elektra), The Beach Boys’ ‘Pet Sounds’ (Capitol), and Love’s immortal ‘Forever Changes’ (also Elektra).

I can hear very little difference, if any.

And I don’t think that I have cloth ears.

Well, I listened to my system for a week without realising the mono button was on. In my defence, I did notice something wasn’t right but I just thought it was the new speaker drivers I had recently fitted running in. Eventually I had to put Stairway to Heaven on and the intro soon drove my eyes towards the pre-amp. :joy:.

I think mono cartridges are still manufactured because there will be thousands of mono lps on the used market. I believe they are something of a collectors item these days.

That is an awesome set up , what is the arm at the back of the photo (if you don’t mind me asking)

It’s a long way from my ever so humble ClearAudio

best wishes

Ian

There are plenty of new mono LPs up for sale. Lots of new jazz and classic rock reissues are coming out that benefit from a dedicated mono cartridge. I’d say a half-dozen of my new Tone Poet jazz reissues are mono. I have five early Dylan albums on Mofi 45s. They are all mono.

Playing a mono record on a stereo cartridge does not sound anything like playing it with a real mono cartridge. Comparing mono and stereo version of something with only a stereo cartridge is not really a revealing comparison of the true differences.

I have hundreds of mono records, so it’s really worthwhile to have mono cartridge for them.

9 Likes

The tonearm at the back is a Clearaudio Universal 12" (for my stereo cartridge) and the one to the right is the 9" version of it (for my mono cartridge).

2 Likes