Show us your turntable

Oh , they are superb

Thanks for responding

best wishes

Ian

1 Like

If I found £32k or so down the back of the settee a Clearaudio Master Innovation and 12in Universal arm would be quite tempting.

I’m only likely to find a bit of stale crisp, sadly

8 Likes

That Master Innovation is quite the best. My dealer had one on demo for an open house some years ago.

1 Like

Clearaudio’s look what they are:quality German engineering. Your photo of your turntable looks MUCH better than the library photos used by dealers. They could take inspiration from your photo to better promote the Innovation, imho

2 Likes

Yeah, my dealer said my picture was good enough for a brochure. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has anyone swapped out the old rubber feet on an old Rega Planar 3 for something like this? They screw into the base and rest on rubber o-rings.

Hi Mike,

Not those specifically but did a series of upgrades from firm funk and ended up reversing them all out, lost all its mojo. All sat back in their boxes in the cupboard somewhere.

I did add a Neo Psu and reference belt and those both made improvements to bring the 3 closer to the 6 that I also have. Found the Rega upgrades kept the house sound intact, guess they know their product and what makes the difference as you go through the range.

Last change was Exact swapped out for AT 540 ML, and that opened up the sound by a large margin once cart run in.

Likewise on my daughters P1, swapped the carbon for an AT95E and that was a game changer, thanks to the advice on here by @Bobthebuilder.

3 Likes

Hi Adam,

In the end they didn’t fit anyway, so I’m going to use them to make an isolation platform for my Star. But having taken one of the rubber cap feet off the 3, I did conclude that they were probably the best option for the 3 anyway. I’ve done the same upgrades with the 24V motor, reference belt and Neo, so have probably maxed out my Rega Planar 3 (though I have the Exact rather than the cart you mention) - it’s my first and only turntable, bought back in the 1980’s.

1 Like

Congrats that it’s one from that era, I had an early 90’s one in a lilac finish and the motor died, should have got it repaired but coincided with rise of CD and went that route.

Returned to vinyl in the 2000’s and have an Rp6 and current spec P3.

The AT cart is a beaut, really goes well and the gap between the P3 and Rp6 has narrowed significantly since adding it, which seeing at the rp6 has an Ania MC on it is quite a testament to both upgraded P3 and the cart.

The firm funk stuff just took all the life and Reganess out of it.

3 Likes

When I bought my Denon DL-102 I was amazed at how good some early mono LPs sounded compared to how they’d sounded played on a stereo cartridge. The DL-102 is also a genuine mono cartridge with a single coil and some vertical compliance. Some modern ‘mono’ cartridges are really stereo designs internally strapped for mono, which is equivalent to just pushing the mono button.

A similar experience was hearing what the AT-MONO3/SP can get off a well recorded 78.

1 Like

Hey Adam

Turntables…
Don’t you just love the idea that TT’s - any TT - can be fiddled and fettled to improve, in one way or another. Even Rega’s, which are about as “plug and play” as they get.

My own Rega RP6 started as stock. With Exact MM and a Fono MM, which was just fine.

Over time, changed to Ania MC, then later to Ania Pro MC, both with Rega Aria phono stage. However, I found one the biggest improvements was swapping the original stock PSU to newer NEO PSU.

It came about by accident really…
The RP6 was back with my dealer. At the time, we were trying (demo’s) different phono stages and Rega MC cartridges on the deck. The newer P6 was just available. So, for fun, we compared the two decks and then started swapping bits, between the two TT’s. It quickly became obvious to me (all other elements being equal), that the NEO accounted for about 80% of the difference between the two. (Maybe the rest being mostly the better plinth arrangements, with brace, etc). So, for around £200 immediately added the NEO to my RP6. One the best VFM improvements to a TT ever.

BTW, it’s great when you have a dealer with the time (and interest) to do such things.

Anyway, even simple things, such as a really solid, rigid and completely level, flat surface, isolated from the floor - to place your turntable - makes a difference.

For the record, I wouldn’t ever change my RP6. (To a better base deck, such RP8, 10 or P8 or 10). It came as a gift and so it is special to me. In any case, it works just fine and I love it.

Just chatting. My main point being it’s fun to try all these things and to explore ways to improve. All part of this hobby.

Best wishes
R

4 Likes

Hi,

Totally agree, and yes the Neo power supply was a massive difference for me too, so much so that the TT Psu didn’t last long when it was moved to the P3.

Just knowing what a difference it made on my RP6 meant that was the next change there as well.

The one change that was a “am I kidding myself” was the change of the belt. I’d already changed the standard one to the upgraded one but then Rega brought out the new reference one and that went on both turntables. Again, beats just got that bit snappier but I was doubting my own ears.

A good mate of mine went about the same upgrades on his P3 after my experiences and found exactly the same. Still a bit of a head scratcher on the quite discernible difference of the belt, and in both cases they replaced pretty new belts as well.

I think it just goes to show how sensitive the ear and brain is to really small changes in sound.

I’ve been working away overseas in Middle East for a week now and looking forward to getting home a listening to some tunes next week.

Of all the considerable culture differences the biggest adjustment for me is just not having the music playing and that includes not having a glass of wine. I’ve got my mobile tunes on my phone but it’s not the same.

2 Likes

I was pretty stunned when my dealer added the 24V motor and Neo PS to my humble 1980’s Rega Planar 3. It’s an entirely different player now, and a perfect aesthetic fit for a Naim system :sunglasses:

17 Likes

What’s the support the Rega is on Mike?

1 Like

It’s a local New Zealand product from Image speakers. They are called the Asian Mahogany Vibration isolation platform - I found them on the web.

3 Likes

Looks a really nice solution, I’ll check them out, cheers.

Added a Kuzma Platis isolation platform recently:

27 Likes

That’s a nice rack. Looks like isoblue but isn’t? Is it your own design?

1 Like

Thanks @Lucifer glad you like it.
A friend and me created these racks. I was looking for racks that look more like furniture than a technical device, preferably in white.
As I was not able to find racks I liked, the friend of mine helped me create these. Well basically he created them, I just told him what I would like to have :wink:

9 Likes

They’re very nice indeed. I’m a sucker for ply!