Show us your turntable

It would be a nice looking deck for me if that platter wasn’t so tall.

2 Likes

And they accused the Townshend of looking like a biscuit tin!

9 Likes

It’s the clarify 9" silver carbon tonearm.

1 Like

I had an Ovation, first with Clarify and then a Magnify tonearm. They both gave me no end to trouble with their magnetic bearings. I had issues with woofer pumping that couldn’t be resolved until I got a fully mechanical arm. I upgraded to a Universal, which is what I still use. Otherwise the Clearaudio tables are fantastic.

4 Likes

To see just how close to the wind, check out the Mug’s Eyeful video on the Techmoan Youtube channel. What he found when he opened up the speakers was especially shocking to me.

3 Likes

Recalibrated and enjoying immensely

I recently completed the restoration of the vintage Well Tempered Classic turntable. A piece of audio equipment I lusted for (but could not afford) in my youth.

This restoration included:
• Structural repair and refinishing of plinth
• Eliminating a hum in arm
• Upgrading to Cardas Clips
• Changing of Fluids
• Motor disassembled, cleaned and lubricated
• New feet
• New belt
• Calibration

27 Likes

Super good photo image
Really clever lighting

Is that an extra arm top to the right hand side?

Looks to me like one of those anti-static/dust sweepers.

2 Likes

Yep, Pro-jest Sweep-it

Trying out a Stanley Engineering snakewood SPU N spacer.
I have the Royal N and an SPU Century I’ve been alternating on my Korf SF9R, only minor adjustment to VTA was necessary between them and resetting of VTF. The century has a bit less dynamics and scale but music was making slightly more sense with it.
I thought I’d see if a bit of wood between the N and the ceramic head shell of the Korf would improve the musical enjoyment further from the Royal N without losing it’s advantage on scale and my impression so far is that it has, though I’ve yet to swap back to the Century to check.
When I put a micrometer to the Stanley Engineering spacer I found that it had a bit of a slope on it front to back of around 0.3mm but when I came to measure Ortofon’s aluminium one it had the same slope so presumably that’s as it should be, the 0.05mm difference side to side isn’t a reflection of Ortofon’s spacer, however, the difference is below what I can see on my azimuth gauge (I’m limited to one picture per post so take my word for that).
Snakewood is dense for wood but still quite a bit lighter than aluminium, the Ortofon spacer weighs 3g, the snakewood one is nearer a gram and overall slightly thinner so I don’t need the quarter turn on the VTA adjuster when swapping head shell for pickup head any more.

10 Likes

26 Likes

Agreed. And even if I believe that life hardly brings any joy, I still rely on relatives’ disappointment as a way to have posthumous fun.

4 Likes

I’ve had both, in very different times…
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

A couple of days ago my system suddenly started to hum a lot more than usual. It was so sudden I sat up, startled. Quite bizarre. I spent a few hours last night with my partner rearranging everything to get the SUT optimally located, which seems to require a new location since this new source of hum appeared.

We managed to ascertain that the old Thorens turntable was not a source of the problem as it made no difference whether it was on or off, which was a surprise. Cable dressing made no difference either. The only factors affecting the hum were the relative locations of the NAIT 50 and the SUT, as well as a larger unknown cause. It wasn’t a simple matter of separating the amplifier and SUT as far as possible, as the optimum location involved moving the NAIT closer to but directly under the SUT.

When I initially set up the NAIT last week the system was very quiet, which I demonstrated to my partner who was suitably impressed. I’m at a loss to think what happened suddenly to change the conditions in the room and system. Still, after those few hours of testing we have managed to restore things to a very good level of hum suppression. Below is the new optimum placement. Sadly, I’ll now need to buy a longer headphone cable!

15 Likes

Yes, sounds like “a larger unknown cause”. Odd that you were able to fix it my moving something that hadn’t changed beforehand.

Dug these two out of the garage for a mix session this pm… still working after > 30 years since i bought them :slight_smile: <3

16 Likes

Those Technics turntables were so popular with DJs precisely because they were built like tanks.

I think that they got to a fifth version, which I think is still being manufactured today.

4 Likes

Great stuff! Nice to see an ex working pair of Technics 8)

1 Like

They’re up to the MK7 now, plus the slightly parallel 1200 G/GR lines