Show us your turntable

I didn’t realise that there was more than one range. I assume that one is an "improved’ version of the other.

Some months ago, I tried to find out whether there was a version sold without a tonearm, as I thought that it would be interesting to try one with an Ekos or an ARO. I did find one, but there was no way of finding a blank plate to mount the arm. I ended up slumming it by buying a new LP12 from that very nice Mr Swain of Cymbiosis!

2 Likes

They don’t sell them without arms, but the G/GAE/GR arms are apparently much more easily removed than the mk 1-6 and possibly Mk7.

There are also a couple of UK establishments who would be worth speaking with regarding adding a different arm to the SL1200s, Ammonite Audio and Timestep. Origin live also sell a 1200 armboard to suit their arms.

I’m sure your new LP12 sounds great. I bought a Technics recently, auditioned three decks to help decide, they all sounded great, if different. The differences seemed in hindsight to be at least partly music genre related. I figured I could live with either of the three, so choose based on perceived build quality, ease of use and aesthetics. Plus, I don’t have all three in my system at home to permanently compare and, apart from one deck’s performance on the opening of a single track, I cannot now recall how the others sounded anyway!

2 Likes

I do like the Technics turntables , if I have a serious downsizing (I may move ) then a Technics 1500 is a viable turntable , the price of new vinyl + quality has meant more CDs bought of late

2 Likes

I may have inherited that cartridge - very technically accomplished but I ended up hating it on my Aro.

It was the last cartridge I had in my Linn before selling it (the turntable).

3 Likes

I have a friend looking to buy a TT, possibly looking for a decent S/H LP12, perhaps with an Ittok or Ekos (he finds my AROs “much too fiddly”).

I have an old Dynavector XX2MkII, which I will happily let him have to trade in for a new one under Dynavector’s new for old discount scheme.

On paper, one of the Linn arms seems to be a good match for the Dynavector, but does anyone have relevant experience - good or bad - of this combination?

Thank you.

Ah, Oigin Live have an arm board for Technics , obviously for their own arms which are seemingly well engineered

1 Like

I remember the magazine cover with a virtually full page shot of the cartridge with just the words “OC-9!”.

After a Linn Klyde which I found to be hopeless, I returned to Audio Technica and bought an OC9: much better.

The Klyde and the original OC9 couldn’t have sounded more different to one another.

1 Like

The OL Encounter arm on the Aurora deck I auditioned was very nice indeed. Looked and felt very well made.

1 Like

Yes Graham - friend of mine has an Ittok 2 with the Dynavector XX2-mk2 you mention

It sounds fabulous I must say

Trust that helps

2 Likes

I have the Ekos 2 with Dynavector XX2 Mk2. It’s very open sounding. Sweet highs, lovely mids and lows with deep bass. Very happy with combination.

3 Likes

As I experienced only too well :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I haven’t seen a blank one, but the ones for SME, Rega, Jelco or Linn are easy to find. For Linn (which AIUI also serves ARO), look at The Vinyl Source or Soundsupports.

I had a DVXX2 mk2 on an Ittok and currently use one on an Ekos SE.
Really good on both arms.
When I upgraded to Ekos SE I listened to Linn Krystal, a Hana cartridge I can’t remember which one but was same price ball park & a Lyra.
I didn’t like the Hana or Lyra at all. The Krystal wasn’t bad but I preferred the DVXX2 so stuck with it.

2 Likes

Thanks, gents, that’s very helpful.

There’s a company in the UK called Timestep that do a total upgrade kit for the current Technics decks that is even semi approved by Technics. External power supply, new arm, platter, etc.

I actually like the arm. Visually it looks like the one of old but the machining on the arm for a modern SL-1200GR or G is in a different league to how it was in the 90s. A lot of the, “shame about the arm,” comments are just regurgitated from models past based on assumption.

My only purchase this year is probably the external PSU Timestep mod. No plan to muck with the platter or arm.

3 Likes

@anon70766008 They seem to do a blank armboard.

It’s academic now. It was simply too difficult to buy a blank board, then to have someone cut it out for my ‘new’ ARO.

The ARO/Troika are now mounted on a Keel/A subchassis on my second LP12, set up by the ever-helpful Cymbiosis team, and sounding rather wonderful.

13 Likes

Lovely photo of your Aro + Troika :+1:

Graham I’ve just noticed on your plate there is a silver looks like another counter weight

What is it ?

Thanks