Show us your turntable

Oh yes TKR would be nice but I should really not be spending this much. andf it i double the DV20x2. but that one was slightly bent and 5 years old and trade in policy was great value. so here we go.

1 Like

Yup, dedicated mono cartridge. I have a quite a few mono records.

I also have a DV XV-1s backup cartridge, and I can mount that on one of the arms to use for more casual listening.

1 Like

Out of interest, what does a mono cartridge on a mono record bring that a stereo cartridge on the same recording doesnā€™t?

Had you the chance to compare SL with Lambda?
On Absolute Sound, they say that Lambda is a bit better for rock, SL for classical.

The SL is a Lambda. It has a single winding compared to the regular Lambda, and lower output (0.25mV). The SL is considered the more capable cartridge, but doesnā€™t play well with tube phono-stages (I am told) or other phono-stages that arenā€™t really designed for such low output.

I have not heard a regular Atlas Lambda, just the Altas Lambda SL I have. I think it sounds excellent with whatever music it plays.

1 Like

On mono records, the vertical axis of the groove contains no musical information, but it will frequently have noise, in the form of groove damage and dirt. A true mono cartridge is completely insensitive to the vertical axis, which greatly improves the signal/noise ratio on mono records.

It makes a big difference vs using a stereo cartridge and engaging the mono switch (which is what I did in the past). With a true mono cartridge, playback is more dynamic, and has more realism and better soundstage.

7 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.

I found it interesting & something I was totally unaware of.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a diagram that shows the difference between coils/windings in the stereo and mono versions.

There are not many Atlas Lambda Mono in the wild. I have No. 17 and bought it last summer.

2 Likes

Thanks, I wanted to say between regular and SL. And you have responded.

1 Like

Also, the Altas SL (and Etna SL) are perfect matches for the Naim Superline (at 64db gain). For the regular Atlas and Etna one would probably be better off with a Superline E (which has less gain for the higher output, 58db I think).

My next cart will be a Lyra Etna regular or a Van den Hull. But much much later.

1 Like

Rega planar P8 with the Ania cartridge and Fono Mk4 for now.

Itā€™s been a while since I owned a TT so will get some experience with the Ania and Fono first. Iā€™ll probably move to the Aria Mk3 first before changing the cartridge. Although Iā€™m very happy with how it sounds now so Iā€™ll take my time on that :grinning:

23 Likes

The same TT set-up as I have, very nice indeed!

3 Likes

Consider a RB3000 as your first change to that rig. I think youā€™d be pleasantly surprised.

2 Likes

Even over the Aria Mk3? (from Fono mk4). Added to my ā€œUpgrade Possibilitiesā€ list :+1:t2:

Any of you Rega users able to say how the Ania cart compares to the Ania Pro and similarly priced non Rega carts ?

My trusty Ortofon 2M Bronze will soon be needing a new stylus (again) and Iā€™m thinking it might be a good time consider a hop back into the world of MC carts. Deck is an LP12 with RB1000 (hence the lean towards a Rega MC).

Difficult to demo these things so interested in any opinions, thanks.

I would personally upgrade the phono first. Itā€™s the weak link in your set up.
Not sure itā€™s worth upgrading the arm only, the cost will be certainly not dissimilar as going from P8 to P10.

3 Likes

Rega Planar 8 / Ania Pro

11 Likes

About Ā£1100 for the RB3000 fitted. You can sell the RB880. There will be lots of views, but having fitted a RB3000 to my Gyro SE, it made a huge difference.

1 Like

Not a Rega user anymore but with plenty of demo opportunities for Rega if that counts (dealer is an acquaintance).

Ania to Ania Pro MC is like going from Elys to Exact MM, literally regarding the stylus profile and figuratively for the difference in SQ. As always with Rega the considerable price difference is commensurate with the improvement.

For that money (here in the Benelux at least) you are in DV20X2 territory and several others, but to my ears the Ania Pro holds its own there in Rega tonearms.

1 Like