Show us your turntable

Something so comforting about using them. And the cue light is genuinely useful at night. I am surprised you stuck with the stock headshell though.

2 Likes

I occasionally spend time looking at different ones, but itā€™s impossible (ok, not impossible, but for me not worth the trip to a dealer to do so) to audition them, and it sounds great as-is, and the stock headshell is about Ā£100 to buy new, it has azimuth adjustment, uses gold connectors etc. I almost bought a Korf Audio ceramic one, but decided to save my money until it comes time to replace the DV 10x5, might upgrade at that point to a MC DV and will think about a new headshell then.

There is really nothing wrong with that headshell. Iā€™m not saying it canā€™t be bettered, but itā€™s really not as bad as people say. Especially if you want one thatā€™s light. I even bought a second one for my deck, in addition to the original one. The Jelco you and I both own is about 1.5 times the weight.

Like the arm, on all the decks it looks identical, but it isnā€™t. Just look at the part numbers.

3 Likes

Oh sure I used the stock headshell for a year and thought it was very good. So good in fact, Iā€™m torn as to whether I buy a better headshell for my other TEAC deck or just give it the Technics handmedown. Though closer to home, the headshell for the 1200G is in the $30 territory, not $100.

I definitely noticed an improvement with the Sumiko headhsell (and yes I did wonder if it was a rebadged JELCO, they look identical - do you know something I donā€™t?) but as you say, it is heavier and you need the auxiliary weight to balance the arm.

My main reason for using the Sumiko headshell is that their cartridges are made in such a way that the leading edge of the cart pressed flush with the HS-12 headshell gives you exactly the correct 52mm base to stylus tip required for alignment. You can get easier than that. It is shame they donā€™t make it anymore. I was lucky my dealer had one as NOS.

3 Likes

I feel,the tenth commandment being broken here

( envy )

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure I should know this but what is the correct 52mm base to stylus tip required for alignment? is it the for the technics or all arms? many thanks!

Oh it is the standard overhang for most arms with a removable headshell. It is measured from the base ring of the headshell to the stylus tip. The correct overhang is listed in the manual for a tonearm but Iā€™ve never seen a headshell tonearm that was not 52mm. Iā€™m sure they exist though.

So on those tonearms, while you can use a protractor to position the cartridge, you can also use an overhang cradle. You put the headshell in it and position the cartridge instead of on the arm. I tend to use a protractor anyway afterwards as a sanity check. But the overhang cradle has never been off.

thank you! and now whats an overhang cradle?

This

Though I use the Denon one because it is transparent with a loupe on the reverse so you can more easily line up the stylus tip. While they cost about $1, most dealers have drawers of these things they just give you for free if you lost one.

1 Like

brilliant thank you. Like many I bought a tt online and should have done so at a dealer reallyā€¦

1 Like

Wow, thatā€™s an absolute bargain.

Not for a fact, but as it looks the same and has identical specs I made an assumption. I could be wrong obviously. And if Iā€™m not mistaken these all stopped being made around the same time as Jelco shutting down.

Thatā€™s nice, although I tend to use the Schƶn alignment instead of the one chosen by Technics (Stevenson IIRC).

1 Like

Same here, but in the end I already have more headshells than cartridges. Plus, the cartridge makes a much bigger difference anyway. Iā€™m currently using the stock one, with the stock cartridge.

The only modification to my deck is a thicker platter mat from the original MK2.

1 Like

Thanks for the bracketed info: I have not read the book in some years and was wondering whether the tenth one was about not coveting images of my neighbourā€™s grave.

Bought a new belt last week for a Rotel I bought at an auction a couple of years ago.

The QB has never sounded so good. :grin:

6 Likes

Decided to compare the Rotel to a Hitachi. The Rotel is more dynamic, the Hitachi more refined. The Rotel has touch of rumble.

Both track very well, running on the spot next to them doesnā€™t cause a problem.
The Hitachi doesnā€™t even skip itā€™s given a heavy thump.

5 Likes

Are you just using the TEAC as a phonostage via the tape loop?

Iā€™d be tempted to get that thing recapped and matched with a forward sounding speaker (TEAC tends to be a very calm sound) .

2 Likes

My LP12 is modest but does have some high-end bits. I expect it to better the SP10 but the latter should have a trick or two up its sleeve. Iā€™ll have a lot of fun listening to the competition.

Yes, tape out to QB, where it is digitised then de digitised.

Or, headphones.

Iā€™m enjoying the relaxed listening experience. :grin:

I do like the look of the Hitachi

They seem to have quit consumer products altogether , shame

1 Like

24 Likes