Show us your turntable

There are lots of good options that should be a big upgrade, including bargain s/h options that might well suit.

Gumtree shows a Clearaudio Champion for A$2350 (or best offer) in Bentleigh.

A$4200 would get you an LP12 with the excellent Ekos arm.

There are VPI Classic Signature & TNT2 and the excellent Clearaudio Performance DC Wood on which it might be worth making an offer.

Any of those would be good s/h options - great sound at a bargain price.

If sticking to new, Rega P8 and P10 (and even the lowly P6) are also great turntables. So are the rivals from Well Tempered and Vertere and the perennial Technics SL1200.

I have never heard The Wand, but that seems well worth hearing if you want a new turntable.

Good luck.

4 Likes

An up to date pic showing my newly made tonearm pod in place.
It’s all set up correctly and dialed in after a few day’s off fine tuning.
Obviously all sitting on my lovely dense turntable top shelf from artesania.

15 Likes

What a beauty of a tonearm :ok_hand:

1 Like

I take it you mean the thales statement :smirk:
It certainly is a fantastic arm in the way it works and sounds

1 Like

People are probably fed up of hearing me bang on about Technics, so I won’t here, but it’s worth reading Mike_S’s posts about the used LP12 they picked up recently, it seems to be working out very nicely. And countless other owners are likely not wrong about the LP12!!

3 Likes

My new toy and first TT! A Roksan Attessa and was only £400.

It doesn’t stand up to my NDX2/555ps by any HiFi metric (detail, resolution, realism, punch, PRaT etc).

Yet, I still love playing the vinyl I’m buying and can’t wait to buy another record.

I can see how people get hooked on TTs and can’t wait to hear one that gets close to the detail of my streamer.

The NDX2/555ps makes me want to tap my feet, but the TT makes me want to grab a glass of wine and just relax into the music!

Wonderful!

P.s. please keep up this thread. I’m learning loads about TTs!

21 Likes

Thanks @NickofWimbledon :pray:t2:

1 Like

Thanks @Yeti :pray:t2:

A little update to the amplification :grin:

11 Likes

2 TTs? a tad greedy!

1 Like

I think it’s the IBM of turntables. No one ever got fired for buying it, but you can get the same for less.

At least at the bottom end, I never heard a higher end one I admit.

1 Like

Are you talking about Technics or Linn?

The latter.

Final assembly and now spinning tonight! A Technics SP10mkii with a last gen Jelco 850mkii (10") to compete with my LP12 :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Oh god wow :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The Jelco is a sweet match. Nicely done!

2 Likes

The question is, does it compete with your LP12?

1 Like

Thanks @gthack
I grew up with technics cd players and equalisers! In the 80s. What technics TTs would you recommend so I can keep a lookout

SL1200GR or SL210GR (only difference is the colour), would match your budget. That would leave about 2500 AUD for a nice cartridge, and phono amp. (Which I would recommend, as the SN3’s 470pF will make it hard to match cartridges).

For the cart perhaps the JT-80BK ? As that’s most similar (probably identical apart from colour) to the one that was supplied with the special edition SL1210GAE.

For the phono amp there’s many choices. You could look at Cambridge Audio, Lehmann Audio or MoFi Electronics.

3 Likes

n-lot beat me to it :slight_smile:

Here’s my 1200, it’s a lovely thing, and really nice to use. I chose it over a Gyrodek and Origin Live Aurora, they all sounded great, the UX on the 1200 was what sold it to me, and the looks 8)

16 Likes