Show us your turntable

Setting up a new to me, PH-10, with the Hana Eh.

13 Likes

Various Rega torque wrenches available via online sellersā€¦
For an eye watering $275 :flushed:

The Rega torque wrench is available at retail. Iā€™ve seen it on Amazon and at Music Direct.

Yes, for a whopping $275.00ā€¦:smirk:

2 Likes

I donā€™t bother doing that because it would only really be set for particular weight records, and even with that cutting heads around the industry arenā€™t entirely consistent. I just donā€™t see winning that battle. I suppose if all you listen to are new releases cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent and pressed at RTI on perfect 180 gr vinyl itā€™s maybe worth worrying about.

I once had variable VTA adjustment for my tonearm and ended up taking it off again. It was just too fussy to use since there is too much variation between discs. My collection is some 5000 LPs and spans over 60 yrs of pressings.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t buy one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My torque driver cost around ā‚¬50 a few years back, thereā€™s something very similar for Ā£75 up the river.

Could someone tell us of a specific torque driver, accurate, small, and low end <0.4Nm?

Sturtevant Richmont CAL 36/4 EURO

Looks like one of those is even more costly than the Rega.

ā€¦thank you. Expensive, but Iā€™ve found some alternatives.
J

Something like this perhaps?

• PROXXON 23343 MicroClick wrenches MC2 measuring range 0.4 2Nm - automatic activation when tightening screws: audible and tactile click signal when the selected torque is clear.
  • Adjustment of torque by turning the knurled ring on the handle end (usable) easy to read window scale the MC2 is a precision tool
  • 50 mm long slim handle with magnet mount for standard bits 6.3 mm (1/4") adapter with 1/4ā€ hexagonal head to 1/4ā€ for socket wrench insert bits.
  • It comes packed with a a practical plastic case for safe storage
  • Technical details: measurement range 0.4ā€“2 Nm accurate to +/-6%
1 Like

Would have liked to do a factory tour hereā€¦

5 Likes

All the Hana carts delight. Nicely done :white_check_mark::sunglasses:

2 Likes

If 0.4 Nm is the correct torque I donā€™t think I want a torque wrench where that setting is the bottom (or top) of the usable range. I would want one where it is somewhere in the middle, where the accuracy is likely to be better.

3 Likes

Thank you. I have the SL on my P8 and picked up a little used EH to try on the LP12. I found it a little too smudgy or compressed on the standard mm settings so looked for another PH-10, pre owned, to try and open it up a bit. I had tried the EH with the naim mc E spec card with some success, but liked the idea of the PH-10 variable settings to play with. I have found the setting that makes the best of it in my study system now. Happy boy here :+1:

1 Like
  • Technical details: measurement range 0.4ā€“2 Nm accurate to +/-6%

Yes it may be slightly more accurate in the middle of its range, but the quoted accuracy should hold for the range given. If want better accuracy (and a calibration certificate) youā€™ll pay a lot more. For cartridge mounting, itā€™s likely that consistency across fixings is more important than absolute scale accuracy anyway.

1 Like

I am mounting two Lyra Atlas now. I just make the screws snug enough they wonā€™t move, without over-tightening. Thatā€™s what Joe Harley recommended when I asked him. He uses the same cartridges, and he handled the Lyra line as a VP at AudioQuest when they were the U.S. distributor for Lyra. If thatā€™s what he does (and he uses his TT rig professionally) then Iā€™m happy doing the same. It all sounds great to me.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a correct torque, 0.4 NM is what Rega finds the most suitable for their cartridges, but trial and error can lead to better results. I like 0.3 Nm better for my RB3000/VM740ML RigB combination.

Iā€™m using a titanium body Lyra on an aluminum (I think) Clearaudio head shell. Neither specify torque, and my manual thumb-tightening does just fine as far as I can tell.

2 Likes