Show us your turntable

Ah, silly me! I saw the Jazzmaster peeking out in a different pic, but I don’t know the headstocks well enough so I thought that was a Strat. Enjoy!!

Regards, alan

My trusty old LP12. XX-2 on Aro with Keel, powered by Radikal and recently Karouseled.

15 Likes

I’ve fitted several Regas to L12’s and it’s not as scary as you’d think just a 20 or 30mm piece off of the corner brace and I’m almost certain that a Rega cut arm board doesn’t negate having to do that.
Regas work very well if your building a budget LP12 but if you’re getting up to a Rega 880 then I’d buy a used Ittok instead.

1 Like

Less of the old!

Like most of us LP12 owners here, I suspect the only old bits left on your Linn are the plinth, top plate, outer platter, mat & Aro.

The only original bits left on my 1981 model are the smoked lid (the original & best!), the top plate, outer platter & sprung hinges holding the lid on!

1 Like

A great deck to LP12 and I’ve got great quite recent memories of the few I’ve owned but there are better decks out there and much better value especially if you’re buying new.

1 Like

Yes, I think you are right. Still got my (tinted) lid but not in routine use.

I seem to remember flat earthers like the great guys at Hi Fi Review back in the day loved the Rega arms but stated they didn’t work on the Linn. I suspect this became dogma, but plenty of entry Linn owners use them very happily.

The R200 (with R100 cart) on a Sondek was a brilliant combination and was cheap enough that it made the Sondek just a bit more affordable. The R200 worked best with an ADC magnesium headshell and no rubber washer.

1 Like

The Rega arms seem to represent a bit of a bargain. Like quite a few back in those days, the economics of the Rega arm made a very persuasive argument for us trading (a relatively new) LP12 for a Xerxes/RB300 combo. I think the perception that the RB300 didn’t work well with the LP12 (which I certainly had), might have worked against Linn as I think the RB300 was a big factor in the Xerxes getting a foothold in an LP12 dominated market.

1 Like

Gyro se, with Funk FX3 and Lyra Argo I.

15 Likes

Orbe platter?

It has yes, with the extra spider too.

1 Like

I had the Xerxes with an RB300 and it really was very good. Seems to support your point really.

1 Like

When it was introduced, Linn provided arm boards to suit the RB300 (unless perhaps the dealers drilled blanks). I discovered after disposing of mine that it was not easy to get correct size P-clips so the cable was not dressed properly and could give a bloated, uncontrolled bass.

1 Like

Following discussions above, on lp12 with Rega, I have seen at a dealer place in France the Rb1000 on lp12.

Here the rb2000 ( must look similar)

11 Likes

It sounds like it was more than perception then that the RB300 wasn’t a great match for the LP12 at that time.

I think the Xerxes/RB300 was viewed as being able to hold its own against LP12/Ittok. I’m pretty sure that’s the demo I had. I think the costs of the combinations was quite heavily on side of the Xerxes which was largely down to the cost difference on the tone arms. That’s how I remember it anyway - I could be wrong.

1 Like

That looks a really nice combination to me.

1 Like

You remember it right!

1 Like

Yes, I think too.

1 Like