Show us your turntable

Stunning deck - congratulations on the purchase.

Congratulations from a fellow and most happy Dr. Feickert owner (Woodpecker). I use a Hana ML cartridge.

Regards

Silly question. Does the on/off switch on my Gyro have an LED in it? Should it be lit now?

2 Likes

No and no.

1 Like

Agree

Baffled me when I first bought mine, having a green lens I assumed it would light when powered.

No LED , no light … maybe was something intended but not implemented

To be fair, that same thought has crossed my mind a few times.
But I assumed any light would be distracting and degrade the speed control. Hence why no light. I hope this is why they did it, rather than they have never considered putting a light into the switch!

Time for an update:
Same turntable and phono stage:

New cartridge:

A Hana Umami Red replaces a much loved Dynavector XX-2.

How does it sound?
Too early to say really, as it’s a brand new cartridge and the Supercap has also just been serviced by @Darran at Class A. First impressions are best captured by one word: Harmony.

Everything sounds balanced, right, natural. Nothing stands out from the mix. Resolution of the fine detail that turns a reproduced voice into a real voice has improved a fair bit and timing is wonderful.

So far, so very good indeed but there’s much more to come as everything beds in over the first 100 hours.

Best regards, BF

28 Likes

Very nice to see the Hana Umami Red in action! Would love to hear it, and maybe one day try it myself. But at the moment, speakers first, and then maybe a preamp.

Please tell us how the cartridge evolve the coming days/weeks.

Regards

My Orbe AC motor unit has a light source in the switch.

Now the switch did need replacing a few years back, but it was the latching mechanism within the switch and not the LED.
Michell serviced the motor, replaced the switch and returned it.

Gave me the voltage settings on the QC power supply to trim it up, too.
I have considered the DC Motor “swap”, but it a repurchase of the entire motor unit and DC Power Supply, so quite expensive.
With the QC Power supply trimmed up, and a laser tachometer, the measurements show 33.3 and 45 for the available speed settings.
A Cardas Test Record provides 1k and 10k tones, which using an app on the iPhone are stable frequencies - would the DC motor give more?

1 Like

Been away a few weeks having my newly purchased bits (ekos se, simplinth in walnut, tangerine audio top and bottom plates) added to my lp12 - a bit of a delay happened because the plinth had to go away to be modified slightly to fit the skorpion bottom plate, the one that was already fitted being too early to work with the urika. Fortunately I managed to get a lightly used newer bottom plate rather than have to buy a brand new one but my bank account is now well and truly empty

Ladies and gentlemen, I have arrived and am fully spent up!

34 Likes

Well, your bank account may be empty but that’s a beauty! I bet it doesn’t sound too bad either :wink:

1 Like

Rather remiss of me not to mention it is sounding rather fine!

That’s a gorgeous looking plinth.

2 Likes

It looks as though the front left hand corner is damaged. Maybe it’s just dust. I hope so.

A trick of the light I think. Or my eyesight is bad enough not to notice. Either way works :blush:

5 Likes

Thanks!
Never had the idea (or the chance) to listen to the Epic X speaker cables before purchasing the Phantom?

David

Looks spectacular BF. I’ve been curious about the MG-1 for long enough. Tomorrow I have a demo of one vs a Klimax LP12. Not entirely fair price-wise, but since I have Klimax Radikal and Urika, I think the Klimax spec is a bit closer to my LP12 than is the Akurate spec. If the Vertere is for me then I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to hear that. Looking forward to the dem.

1 Like

Well, that will be a comparison between two of my favourite turntables, so you win either way. It will be interesting to know which spec of Vertere cables, the cartridge and the phono stage that you use in the demo.

Have a great time!

Thanks @Bluesfan I believe it will be the standard cables, Mystic Cart and Vertere phono-1 box. I don’t know if the dealer will be able to dem any other options today. I assume your view is that different cartridges and wiring will improve things(?)
Did you also try the SG-1 or (Heaven forfend!) RG-1 before going for MG-1?

I have heard both but was upgrading from a Roksan Xerxes 20+ and they would have been too big a stretch.

Re cables, I went for the Pulse R motor controller cable and most importantly the better tonearm internal wiring as these make a material difference to performance (as well as price!)

As music from the turntable betters the same tracks from a DCS Rossini + clock, MSB Premier, Chord DAVE + M Sclar or ND555 80%+
of the time, it’ll do for us.

Enjoy the audition!

Best regards, BF

1 Like