Show us your turntable

A bit dusty as only just got a cover for it, as very worried I might catch the stylus

29 Likes

Definitely an interesting and worthwhile auditionā€¦
The Sondek was Klimax spec except that it had a Krystal instead of Kandid. It was perhaps slightly hobbled by having Linn Silver i/c connected to the 552 by RCA. My experience is these sound far better if they are connected via a Maywere adapter to a DIN socket on the 552.
The MG-1 was basic spec with Red cabling to and from a Vertere Phono stage.
The Linn sounded great of course. Colourful, full, exciting, engaging, highly detailed, but with the well known, well loved and easily recognised presentation. Never less than mellifluous, always good, fun music.

The MG-1 was much lighter sounding, faster, much more air. Occasionally showing the LP12 to sound a bit warm and fat, but on other occasions sounding like the lowest octave or two were a bit undernourished.

So which is telling the truth? I think the bottom line is neither. Each presents its own spin and doesnā€™t truthfully recreate the master tape as the producer and engineer recorded and mixed it, instead creating their own takes on a recording. Personal preference will settle it for most.
For me, Iā€™d be interested to go a bit further into the Vertere way of doing things- either the better cabling, a different cartridge or maybe even the SG-1, but then weā€™re getting into the realms of impossible/impractical expenditure.
The Vertere makes the Sondek sound slightly ā€˜obviousā€™ and a bit ā€˜voicedā€™ in an almost manipulated fashion, butā€¦ the Sondek is just lovely, engrossing, entertaining, riveting. Yes, itā€™s coloured, but itā€™s a beautiful colour.

Had I heard the MG-1 before I bought another LP12 a few years ago, I think I may well have chosen it . If I were starting over again now, I may well go with it too, but given Iā€™m already a long way down the road into Sondekdom I think Iā€™d struggle to justify junking it all in and spending all over again.
Iā€™m happy with what I have, but a part of me will keep wondering about the Vertere path. ā€˜To be continuedā€™ perhaps.

7 Likes

A rare opportunity and a super summary, thank you. Both are great music makers.

At this level, everything matters when listening for differences: supports, cartridge, cabling, phono stage, tone arm set up.

Whichever turntable you settle on, enjoy the music.

Best regards, BF

May or may not have just bought a mint SME 309 with all the V upgrades / service from SME. It was simply extortionately expensive. Insane. SME arms are getting out of hand. Series V going for Ā£9k newā€¦

1 Like

Yep - and while these TTā€™s come up quite a lot in the pre-loved (e-bay) space, they all seem to cite a saving to latest list, which isnā€™t quite right (as against what was paid for them) given the way SMEā€™s prices were hoiked several years ago when they changed distribution arrangements.

Plus, I was told by a reputable SME dealer this kit needs regular servicing.

Iā€™d love to have one (say a 20/3A i.e. with SME V) but would need to put it on a wall shelf and given the weight involved thatā€™s quite challenging for me.

Yikes! I have a never-used/mounted SME IV in its box. Maybe it will be part of my pensionā€¦?

1 Like

A very interesting review. I was in a similar situation recently, wondering about the MG-1 or spending some money on my LP12. I spoke to a dealer who sold both Linn and Vertere and his advice was to upgrade my LP12 (which amounted to adding Kore, Karousel and Ekos SE). Of course, as I already had the Urika 1, the swap would also have meant buying a new phono stage. So financially it made more sense to spend on the Linn, and your review suggests it would be a change of presentation rather than a notable improvement.

IIIRC SME are only supplying arms with their turntables, not as standalone items. This would account for blatant price inflation, perhaps?

1 Like

Youā€™re right. Absolutely the case.

I think it is 100% this. SME stuff has a near-mythical build quality, which combined with the very decent sound quality they are said to have.

I have seen these advertised for Ā£4.5kā€¦

I have owned an SME IV. It was built very well but no better than my current Ekos 2/se.

Simply a beautyā€¦ :innocent:

Master 3 from the Timbre-series on Sorane TA-1.

atb, Tom

15 Likes

Added a power supply

16 Likes

I bet the street lights dim when that beast fires up!

1986 Linn Sondek LP12, Akito arm, Goldring 1042 cartridge, Valhalla power supply

18 Likes

I wonder who has the oldest LP12 here? Mine is from '87. Only plinth, top plate and Ittok from the original.

1 Like

Bought mine in Feb. 1980. Plinth, smoked cover and hinges and top-plate are the only original parts left.

2 Likes

Someone ā€“ canā€™t remember who ā€“ acquired a gorgeous one from about 1974/5, and came on here asking what he should do with it. The consensus was that it should be left as was, as far as possibleā€¦ anyone remember it?

3 Likes

Yes, it had an SME arm if I recall, I think it had been inherited -and the OP was called Artist - it was a lovely piece of work

2 Likes