Signs One is an ‘Audiophile’

Hi-Fi-Fo-Fum

A ‘Monitor’ film from 1959 about an emerging phenomenon - ‘The Audiophile’. It’s brilliant!

G

4 Likes

I think the dedicated mains feed is a giveaway. Everyone else I’ve mentioned this to think it’s complete and utter lunacy :grimacing:

6 Likes

Brilliant film - I love the bit when they introduce stereo, and the man getting money for playing a gramophone in the street - dont recall anyone giving money to kids with Ghetto Blasters in the streets

1 Like

Enjoyable although I did laugh at the chap pushing his friends into position on the floor, presumably to get “the best sound effect”.

1 Like

For an audiophile you need to sing it! From the same isle at about the same time.

2 Likes

“The string tone is thin and boxy.”
I can’t decide if that is genuinely made in 1959 or a very very clever accurate remake from 2019.

1 Like

Yes, I just love my steeeereo, so I must be one of those audiophiles.

1 Like

i felt just the same - but the bbc archive website is real enough - check out the ‘mad scientist’ look of the guy covering vinyl restoration - too close for comfort?

1 Like

One who just listens to the cannon shots of a Telarc - 1812 Overture.

One who just listens to people murmuring, coughing, and moving chairs in a Proprius - Jazz at the Pawnshop.

1 Like

…someone who has arrived at that point in music reproduction where they really just want to talk about the music.

1 Like

One of my favourite Flanders and Swann tracks - too close to home for comfort though. My wife quotes it at me occasionally :grinning:

2 Likes

Someone who listens to the system more than the music?

2 Likes

This has been posted before (not that it’s an unwelcome repeat!), and I’m going to repeat what I said then: I want to go back to the days when one was served in a hifi shop by men wearing white coats (1:25). All these chaps in jeans and T-shirts these days - I can’t help feeling we’ve lost something.

Also, if one was greeted at the entrance to a record shop by two men in suits, I feel sure they wouldn’t be struggling to survive (2:17).

Yours etc.,

Brigadier Disgusted-Smyth
Tunbridge Wells

1 Like

I once entered a shop which was staffed my men in uniforms. I was looking for an amplifier. The discussion went…
…what speakers have you got?
…**** ****
…how many watts are they?
…they are not watts
Salesman looks to colleague and says
…Harmon Kardon!
My wife and I exit.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Omg that’s me :flushed:

3 Likes

Terry, I really hope that was you with the mobile 78 as well :grinning:

2 Likes

Priceless! Loved the way the BBC announcer wiped his brow with a cotton handkerchief from his breast pocket.

Thanks James_C

1 Like

… which never really existed!

We’ve been posting on this in another thread.

1 Like