Simple Radio for kitchen/sitting room

The Tivolis look really nice, though possibly outside budget - I really like the look of the analogue versions though think she will need simple presets for favourite stations.

That’s my main concern with modern designs - she’s never had a computer/smartphone or mobile phone. My father was reasonably good for his age with tech, but the Samsung SmartTV I bought him not long before he passed on which was excellent value had menu systems and features which were not just overkill but baffling for someone who’d never used streaming TV services.

I think it’s quite frightening how so many elderly people are being excluded from things in the digital age - naturally some will be more tech savvy and will find smart assistants etc quite simple, but too many are afraid of ‘messing things up’.

You may be correct here, if it looks fairly familiar it might be a good option - I can see JL have a few in stock, but most of the H4/H6 models are out of stock on Amazon and at Pure’s own site which makes me think they may be discontinued.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to find the radio mother in law had, cannot see it anywhere and I know it came from an “easier living” store before lockdown.
The nearest I can find does not gave a very inclusive title, but may fit the bill for simplicity - Relish Dementia Radio.

1 Like

She’s thankfully as bright as a button mentally but the product you mention assuming it’s the correct one looks really simple:

There’s clearly a need for products like this, just like those simplified remotes with large buttons.

1 Like

That’s it

1 Like

The John Lewis radio is a great little thing, but I wouldn’t call it intuitive to use. Easy to switch source for example and you cannot stick a label on a preset button, which are quite small

Generally I find my elderly parents unable to use things with a menu system. They are particularly frail but moving a cursor, touch screen or scroll wheel to select an item seems to be tough for them in any context.

Two ideas. Search for radios for the visually impaired. Several out there have large clunky buttons. The other idea is to use the TV. If she can use the TV remote you could set radio stations as presets. This works for my parents, and the better audio quality is a bonus. Not portable though!

Bruce

2 Likes

I have looked on the Tivoli Radio website. There is now a ‘Model One Digital’ radio, which has a pretty clear (I think) digital display. It costs £300.

1 Like

Yes, I saw that one. Probably outside of budget unfortunately. I can’t see a UK stockist on their map, but there are some on Amazon sold by an audio dealer (I think).

I have one of each to the Model One and Two (both in the black finish) in my bedroom and the guest bedroom. They’re very good, but can be a bit ‘picky’ at catching FM stations - the yellow light which comes on as the station is captured is very handy.

1 Like

I tried to persuade her to try the TV yesterday as a temporary measure but she got defensive as she didn’t want me to change anything in case she couldn’t ‘change it back’ or ‘didn’t understand’- this lead to some distress as she felt 'useless, she had a fall in the house the other day and this has knocked her confidence. I may try this again as it’s free and in a different location so increases options, she just wasn’t receptive to the idea yesterday, plus I couldn’t find the TV remote which we may have removed as there were so many tiny buttons she couldn’t use it. She sticks to

The radios for visually impaired may be worth pursuing if needed, though as granny’s both proud and stubborn if we went that route we’d probably need to let her consider and choose one or risk a negative reaction of buying something for someone with a ‘disability’. She was assessed for some carers a few months go after coming out of hospital (another fall), but she told them they weren’t needed which is really not the case.

1 Like

Sorry to read this, AC, you’re obviously going through a distressing time, which can’t be easy for you.

Of course a NAT-01 or NAT-02 would have a lovely clear display, but then you’d have to get all those other silly black boxes to make them produce sounds.

2 Likes

I had a quick look online, and found something called a Relish Dementia Radio, which tunes to FM and DAB - £120. That may be worth considering, perhaps.

1 Like

Thanks graham55.

We had several years watching my late parents decline which was extremely stressful. Mrs AC’s mum is older and starting to run into difficulties now, it’s so difficult both for the individuals and family when they start to lose independence.

Funnily enough I was thinking to myself that a NAT would look lovely! I’ve never owned one myself, and often think I’ve missed out.

You can probably see why I didn’t post this in the hi-fi section!

1 Like

You definitely have missed out by not having a NAT tuner. I have a lovey NAT-01, which was playing up, and has gone back to Salisbury for some TLC. A lot of Naim users think that the NAT-01 was the ‘purest’ piece of equipment that Naim ever produced, and I wouldn’t;t argue with that. TomTom Audio in St Albans usually have one or two available, so it’s never too late!

I have also had an NAT-02, which has been unused for years. I am in the process (I hope) of buying a pair of Kestrel LS3/5As through TomTom, which will take over bedroom duties (I can’t drop off to sleep at nights easily without voices or music on radio) from my Tivoli One, which will take over in the kitchen.

1 Like

I see Naim is about to resurrect the NAT 01 as a one boxer with all stations available

:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:ha

And with speaker (s) inbuilt I might add :crazy_face::crazy_face:

I must check the date - I’m sure that 1st April was over a week ago?

1 Like

Ha ha - I only wish !!

I’ll never part with my NAT 01

Into my box to be burnt with me when the time comes Graham

One of their best ever

I think that the original Naim tuners were designed by the French genius Guy Lamotte, who (if memory serves) was also behind the ARO tonearm and the never-brought-to-fruition FL-! electrostatic loudspeaker - think battleship QUAD ESL57s on steroids!

1 Like