Simple Radio for kitchen/sitting room

Indeed - spot on you are I believe Graham :+1:

And off topic - I’ll never part with my ARO

1 Like

Actually, I don’t think I’d ever part with any of my Naim equipment, in which I include my Naim-slanted Linn LP12.

1 Like

Probably just needs a new power pack.
Our old pure mini one is 15+ years old and still going, although has gone through a couple of these.

3 Likes

Is the power pack needed for mains use? I did wonder but thought on granny’s model that it was optional for portability.

They just fit in the back. Being a rechargeable solution instead of batteries.

1 Like

You are right, the pack just allows the radio to be used away from the mains.

If the power adapter is faulty then I don’t think the battery pack would help. I’m not an electrician though.

1 Like

I’m having trouble imagining the scenario here. Is the power adapter different to the battery pack ?
Can you post an image of this power adapter ?

There was a pack in there which I removed, so I think it should run off the mains adapter without - still can’t find the multimeter to check the adapter out. If that was dead then there are equivalent replacements on Amazon.

It’s a ‘wall wart’ type PSU which plugs in the back. May have confused you.

Why did you remove it ?
As that pack just meant you needed to over look the charge as you would a mobile device.

Although, yes thinking about it with your set up granny would not have to worry about recharging it every once in a while. :innocent:

In which case you would be better off looking for something that is just mains driven.

I assume it came bundled with it but wouldn’t be needed for mains usage. Simply wanted to check the specs and that it hadn’t leaked, I suspect it’s ‘dead’ but found replacements on Amazon if we could get the main unit to start. The unit wouldn’t power up with or without the pack installed.

I don’t think portable usage ever came into play, it was just used in the kitchen.

I would try fitting in the power pack and then using the supplied cable to recharge the device.
If that doesn’t work you can start the process of eliminating what’s at fault.

1 Like

I have had several Pure radios and you don’t need the Powerpack if running from the mains so highly unlikely that this is the root cause

3 Likes

Ruark have a graded products outlet on their web site which brings the cost down to less than £200.

Once they are set up the rotary dial is used for volume and to change preset station when required.

1 Like

Just rechecked the manual and the ‘chargepak’ is definitely optional.

Frustrated I can’t find the multimeter as I’m sure I saw it somewhere a week ago.

Once had an external hard drive which would not start up properly - testing the ‘wallwart’ with the multimeter showed it wasn’t dead but simply wasn’t delivering the juice it was rated to - swapped that and all well and good again. The PSU is on my ‘easy to eliminate’ list if I can test it (shame no power light on teh device), but there are many reports of ‘sudden death’ several due to the in-built display failing.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.