Single FRAIM rack advice

As I travel down the Naim rabbit hole, I’ve scored myself a used FRAIM rack (standard shelves) and need to purchase another shelf for my six box system. I seek advice on the stack order for a single rack and whether buying a medium level shelf is worth separating the power supplies from the brain components? Or would the medium shelf serve better separating the pre or source? I will consider splitting the racks later.

Here is my proposed stacking order from the top.

NAC552dr
NDX2
NAP300dr (on a medium shelf?)
555PSdr
552PSdr
300PSdr

Cheers
Glen

Get the medium shelf and put it under the 552 at the top. The 552 will like the breathing space but you might just find another use for it later. Or your plan A might work, I’ve not used an NDX2.

I’d seriously suggest getting another Base instead of a Level, that way you’ll have 2 x 3 shelves which looks a lot nicer than one stack of 6 (I know this as I made the same error initially), and as a bonus you can then separate the power supplies out into the r/h rack and the rest on the left side. It also lets the Burndy cables hang nicely.

This does depend on having the floor space to accommodate two Fraim racks in place of one.

1 Like

Little wrong with your proposed stacking order. Maybe reverse the NDX & 552…?

For a single Fraim stack I’d try:

NAC552dr
NAP300dr
NDX2(on a medium shelf)
552PSdr
555PSdr
300PSdr

Always a compromise - keeping NDX2 away from 552 makes sense, but it is a source and benefits from some space from a large Transformer. 300PS is noisiest so bottom works well for that - swapping 555PS and 552PS may help too to not have it sandwiched between two noisy supplies.

DB.

1 Like

I have a similar setup…but in effect have ND555 ontop with 552 under…sounds great…

1 Like

Thanks fellas, I appreciate your responses and suggestions. I have tried the source above the 552 and did notice some improvement but had to compromise for better cable dressing with my previous rack setup. The suggestion to purchase a base instead a single shelf to create a 2x3 rack setup is a interesting option. However my concern is I doubt my one metre length din-xlr cables will allow enough rack separation to keep the bundies off the floor. I guess I could buy longer ones. As darkebear suggests some compromise in the stack order may need to apply.
Cheers Glen

You could just coil then with nylon ties so that they hang above the floor, clear of the other cables.

Thanks again for your advice @ darkebear. Since my last post, I acquired two medium shelves for my single Fraim stack. As you suggested, I placed the 552 PS above the 555 PS and 300 PS at the bottom of the rack. I thought the other medium shelf would be more beneficial, separating the source above from the 552. What say?
NDX2 (on a medium shelf)
NAC552
NAP300 (on a medium shelf)
552PS
555PS
300PS

Cheers from Glen in Oz

1 Like

If it all sounds great then you are there! :slightly_smiling_face:
It is an art of striking different compromises trying to juggle everything into a sequence to get everything as you want - you probably have done it well here.

A single Fraim stack will obviously end-up taller with all the boxes and medium levels, but I think it will sound a lot better than in all crammed-together with the standard levels - I have tried to have a stack of standard levels with my system and it was awful - and got even worse Active (more boxes).

I’d not go higher than you show with the rack - I think that is the limit height (six standard levels).
I found heavy items at bottom (power supplies) and the lighter boxes higher works very well - the fraim is more stable.

Ensure it is absolutely level - carefully level the spikes and use spirit level to get it level - if it is slightly off try listening before and after leveling as it makes quite a difference.

DB.

Darkebear many thanks!
Glen

If you ever change you mind you can always purchase just the stanchions and bolts in a different size to repurpose an existing Fraim. I have done that and have two spare set s of medium heights as a result.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.