Single track to best assess/demonstrate a hi fi system

Keb Mo’s self-titled album. Pick a track of your choice, they all sound exceptional for timbre, image placement and neutrality.

4 Likes

Well last night it seemed as good a way as any to choose what to listen to and although I think we can all agree the one track premise is unworkable it’s an interesting mental aural exercise.

So assessing my current hifi with these tracks

Well I wouldn’t be buying any system the way this sounded. Wouldn’t even move to a second track.

Would have made me play another track but wouldn’t be buying just on this. Bass did wallop at the end though.

Where’s my wallet, really sounded good.

Sounded more than acceptable, no nasties, foot was tapping. Wouldn’t be making a purcahse decision on it though.

Sounded okay, the drums towards the end nicely going back and forth. Would play another track after hearing this.

Yeah, made me feel like I could fly. a wallet track again.

Couldn’t get passed the content, not my type of music.

wondered why this was chosen until those drums came in at then end. Wallet moment.

Sounded very good even if it is over the suggested length! Would certainly listen further after hearing this.

Wallet tune.

Not really my type of music, probably didn’t have it loud enough as it was late.

And so this got me to thinking what I would choose. Whilst I’d never select an item on one song I might deselect it if it couldn’t do a particular song. 2 such songs sprang to mind.

So if these didn’t sound phenomenal I wouldn’t be listening any further to said piece of kit.

.sjb

2 Likes

Yeah, should have said it needs to be played sit-up-in-your-seat loud to come anywhere near the concert hall experience.

Roger

You’re right there! Very natural.

Love this one too.

On Her Majesty’s Secret Service - Decksandrumsandrockandroll - Propellerheads

or

Giorgio by Moroder - Random Access Memories - Daft Punk

I use these regularly, including a recent SN3 / NDX2 audition.
If I’m not pulled in tapping my feet with these then it’s probably a no go.

I’ve had the Propllerheads’ track pull me in sufficiently that I’ve burst out laughing with glee I’m so engaged with the music.

I’m not sure if that’s a unique response, but it’s happened a couple times now when a system is really clicking. :blush:

I think Giorgio by Moroder is probably better recorded, but they are both fairly well recorded and mastered and cover a wide range of frequency and tempo.

4 Likes

I’ve definitely had that massive grin moment listening to that propellerheads songs :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I can’t really answer this, as I tend to use my hifi to listen to music, not vice versa.

1 Like

If you are only allowed one track I’m not sure picking a track with wonderful production is the way to go. Rather just pick something you know that sounds just ok. Can the system dig out more musical enjoyment from an average recording? We don’t just listen to great recordings….

1 Like

My One Track would be -

Enya - Boadicea

1 Like

Funnily enough, my dealer and I are currently in the process of getting my very modest system set up properly and I have been testing the sound with Fever Ray’s “Triangle Walks” from the same debut album - great icy electronics and production.

@Sloop_John_B might be interested in this one as well as “Seven” if he wants to hear more.

I am also finding that the ever popular forum album “Convergence” by Malia/Boris Blank is great to use as well - any track will do, it all sounds fantastic.

Peter

1 Like

This, 100%.

3 Likes

Agreed. Pretty good, is old Keb.

John Hiatt - Tip of my Tongue from the album Bring the Family. As there would be plenty of time left in the 9 mins just carry on into the next track, Your Dad Did.

2 Likes

Good for us flat mooners.

3 Likes

Money for Nothing - Dire Straits

I have two that any system must be able to make sense of. Some old Phil Collins (played slightly low level) and Takemitsus music for 60s movie ‘Woman in the dunes’ (played louder). If they don’t work - it’s over.

1 Like

@jmtennapel If only one track you would be wise to choose Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick on cd
43 minutes and 46 seconds is a reasonable demo, rather good INMO.

2 Likes

From Sade’s Diamond Life album, “Why Can’t We Live Together”, which just builds and builds, and if your system is on song, you’ll hear the interweaving of the various instruments quite clearly.

12 Likes

“Killer” by Seal, is a decent track to evaluate your system. In fact, the whole Seal album is excellent.
Production is by Trevor Horn so plenty going on…

5 Likes