Single wire with jumper or biwire cables?

I would like to ask advice on for speakers w 4 poles behind, is it better to use speaker cable of single wire with jumper or a a speaker wire w 4 plugs at speaker end (2 plugs at amplifier end)?

Single wire with jumper is the only way
Bi-wire doubles capacitance & halves inductance, a bad thing for Naim

2 Likes

Most of the naim Power Supplies for Nac have the option to run dual mono amplifiers.
I would think this is the best option.

And pointless, in my view - however I don’t read the OP’s questio as asking about bi-wire:it seems to be whether at the speaker to use a jumper or fit 2 plugs not one to the each speaker cable conductor.

Popular preference is the latter, not jumpers, or generally at least not the jumpers provided with the speakers. That or contrive a ‘Y’ split to 2 plugs using the same cable wire.

OK maybe a translation/language problem, “a speaker wire w 4 plugs at speaker end (2 plugs at amplifier end)?” I first read that as biwire, but reading again it can indeed be your interpretation. Whatever all the posts have it covered what’re way.

I thought the OP’s “a speaker wire w 4 plugs at speaker end” was about single cables with bi-wire ends like this from Audioquest (“Single Bi-Wire (SBW)” in their parlance for the Rocket series):

= Y end (Edit: assuming the cable splits at the end shown, not the other end)

It equally could mean the wire going to and out of plug, then to the second.

However @Mike-B is right, and althou the OP didn’t say bi-wire it could be read as that, with the amp end having a pair of wires attached to each plug, which may not be beneficial and may have negative impact.

Right, and in the AQ Rocket case it’s actually two wires in one cable and AQ writes somewhere IIRC that this termination reduces inductance, so Mike-B’s correct answer seems to apply here as well

Yes, AQ splurge on this says “Double Low-Inductance Geometry: A “normal” speaker cable has fairly high-inductance, smearing energy across time and making the sound dull and unfocused. The two conductors in each half of Rocket 11 provide lower inductance, greater clarity and superior bass-to-treble frequency extension.”

All audio power amps need inductance to counter the oscillation (destabilisation) effects of speaker capacitive reactance. Solid state power amplifiers do this with a Zobel network shunt across the output stage & a series inductance load downstream from the Zobel circuit.
Many amp manufacturers place this inductor (a coil) inside the amp, however whilst these amps can use any type of speaker cable, depending on the inductance of the cable, when added to the amplifiers internal inductor it might be too high & begin causing some roll-off at high frequencies; This is what this AQ cable is countering.
Naim (& a few others) do not have an internal inductor and instead use the speaker cable to provide the inductance & design their own cable give the total & correct inductance load required.
Such a cable design will also give very low capacitance further improving the capacitive factor in the load. So in the case of Naim applications, this cable is not ideal.

1 Like