Sir Elton John - Re branded

I haven’t heard Diamonds to compare to his 2002 Greatest Hits compilation.

Like you, I consider his older, 70’s, albums to be his best work but do think a couple of his 21st century albums to be under-rated & largely ignored. Songs from the West Coast comes to mind here.

Your Liberace comment is certainly true if you are referring to his Las Vegas residencies. This may be because he wants to take the money & run without doing a lot or, a distinct possibility I think, his paymasters think this flamboyant presentation is what the Las Vegas audiences want.

I liked EJ but had never been his biggest fan. However, in 2003 my wife insisted I take her to see him & his long term band at the Birmingham NEC as she had ‘suffered’ a couple of my favourite artists for my sake.

I have seen many of my musical heroes here & in London, including Eric Clapton, The Eagles, Mark Knopfler, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac & I have to say that EJ was the only one who exuded ‘star quality’ by just walking on stage, before he had played a note.

He then proceeded to play a 3 hour set of astounding quality in both the content, altering some songs where he clearly felt he could improve on the originals, playing others unaltered & delivering all in the best quality sound I have ever heard at a concert. EC & The Eagles came close but could not better it.

His rye comments between songs showed he was no fool. At the encore he may well have wanted to wind it up & get home as soon as possible but he didn’t let it show. He spent at least 5 minutes signing autographs & talking to fans at the edge of the stage before commencing the final songs & this simple act made many people’s evenings & must have made him many more fans.

As a result of this performance we saw him twice more in Birmingham, in 2004 & 2006, & the show was just as good on both occasions. In pure commercial terms, you got your monies worth & a whole lot more.

For those 3 shows alone I can only wish him well.

Plus, it all helps to pay all those annoying domestic bills!

2 Likes

All good points. Save yourself, do not buy diamonds. maybe have a listen on spotify if you must. I was honestly appalled by it. Sucked all the joy and wit out of the songs. Maybe its a mix for earbuds?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.